My mom had cancer and passed away recently. Is it safe for me to take propecia for male pattern hair loss?

My age is 21 and I've been experiencing hair loss for the last one year.I took few nutritional tabs to reduce the hair fall.Since it has shown no impact now my dermatologist decided to prescribe me Finasteride.I found finasteride is strongly related with high grade prostate cancer.To add fuel to the fire my mom had breast cancer and passed away recently. Should I just ignore all these things and go for propecia or having the disadvantage in my gene I should not even think about taking propecia?

Thank you for yoour question. 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

It is best to discuss taking a medication with your doctor in person. Internet will not and cannot give you personalized

It is best to discuss taking a medication with your doctor in person.  Internet will not and cannot give you personalized treatment recommendations.  You should never ignore family history so talk with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understanding the Risks

First, I'm very sorry for your loss. Second, there isn't any scientific evidence that Finasteride is a causation for cancer. I recommend you see a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in hair loss for a formal consultation. There are many options for hair loss including PRP/Progesterone injections. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Finasteride for hair loss

Finasteride has been associated with a reduction in prostate cancer and I dont know of a relationship between female breast cancer and risk of prostate cancer in males. I would also suggest you see an internist and get hormones checked. Strss can be a cause of hair loss in a very young petson.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Should I take finasteride?

The decision to take finasteride is a decision between you and your doctor. The problems you discussed must be analyzed by your doctor, not someone over the internet

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride and cancer

These are important issues to discuss with your physician. To say the finasteride is strongly related to high grade prostate cancer without understanding everything about finasteride misses some key facts about it. You should also be aware that it reduces prostate cancer by 25 %.

I would need more information about your mom's age, type of breast cancer and family history of breast cancer to render an answer. There is no evidence to date that finasteride increases the risk of breast cancer in men.