Incision site cracking? Gynecomastia surgery, excision only, no liposuction (Photo)

I was operated for Gynecomastia on 5th October. Due to delay in visits, Hematoma in the right sit was diagnosed and operated out on 14th October. Surgery method : Subcutaneous Mastectomy. (No Liposuction) Left sutures cut on 18th October. Right on 25th. I'm back to my college on 29th and have been walking since then. As of 31st October, looks like incision of left site opening? Please help, I'm far away from home to visit my surgeon. Also, please confirm if my chest looks abnormal after surgery.

Dehiscence

You have a small wound separation that will most likely heal with topical agents like bacitracin ointment and vitamin therapy. Call your physician for treatment options. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Incision site cracking? Gynecomastia surgery, excision only, no liposuction

The photos do not indicate that the incision is opening up but to be sure please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

What to Expect after your Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.