Who Should Do Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion?

I was wondering, who should administer Chemical peels and Microdermbrasion--an aesthetician or a physician?

Doctor Answers 2

Chemical peel & microdermabrasion by physicians or aestheticians

Lisa in CT,

Generally, very superficial skin treatments such as fruit peels or microdermabrasion may be performed by anyone (physician, nurse, aesthetician, etc). Some companies sell such peel kits for home use by patients themselves.

Chemical peels vary by skin depth penetration, chemical agent & concentration, and application. Deeper peels have better results. Only board-certified physicians may administer chemical peels once a certain depth has been reached. Potential serious complications may occur with such treatments. Cosmetic results, however, are usually much better with these deeper peels.

Speak with a physician who performs chemical peels to see which skin care treatment would be appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

This is debatable


Lower strength peels can probably be safely administered by either, but understand that you are paying for experience. Your better results with deeper peels will more likely be in the hands of an experienced physician.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.