How Frequently Should I Be Getting Chemical Peels?

I know there is a difference between chemical peels. Such as glycolic, salicyclic, jessners etc.. however with all peels they can be different grades. Such as 10% and up.. how often should you space out the peels? and the strengths? I have been using the jessners peel and my skin will peel. however when i use a two step peel with salicyclic acid and glycolic acid my skin didnt peel. it was just itching for a few days.i want to know how often u should wait in between the peels

Frequency of Chemical Peels

Alpha Beta Professional Peels: Dr. Dennis Gross’ patented formulas use a blend of acids at low concentrations to deliver maximum benefits without irritation, dryness, or flaking.
• Frequency: Every 4 to 6 weeks.
• Downtime: None
• Available in: Original, Extra strength & Clinical strength

Retinol Peels: Our deeper peels—which also go by names like the vitamin A peel or retinoic acid peel—deliver a stronger concentration of acid, followed by a high dose of retinol, or vitamin A, to maximize ingredient penetration and absorption of the anti-aging actives.
• Frequency: A few times a year
• Downtime: 5 to 7 days
• Available in: Universal, Intermediate & Advanced

TCA Peel: The deepest peel in our arsenal; it can only be performed by physicians as it contains powerful but effective trichloroacetic acid to deliver intense treatment—and results.
• Frequency: Once every 5+ years
• Downtime: Up to 2 weeks

Body Peels: Great for treating body acne, aging skin, hyperpigmentation, and textural roughness.
• Frequency Every 4 to 6 weeks
• Alpha Beta Body Peel Light peel – Downtime None
• Retinol Peel for Body Deep peel – Downtime 5 to 7 days

Laser Treatment as a Safer Alternative to Chemical Peels

Chemical peels are generally quite unpredictable across individuals. And because you are exfoliating the skin at various levels, this can present safety concerns.

You have to understand that the signs of aging on the skin are mainly the result of protein fibers in the skin degenerating at the dermis layer. This is caused by factors such as free radicals and excessive exposure to UV rays.

Chemical peels affect the epidermis. And while deeper peels can affect the dermis, they would not be able to affect the collagen fibers. Rejuvenation in this area is important for the long term success of your skin treatment.

Lasers like Fraxel Repair and Fraxel Dual work by deliberately applying heat to the dermis in order to promote the formation of new collagen fibers.

If you are looking for a general exfoliation effect, a laser system like Spectra can accomplish this and give reliable, safe and predictable results.

However the ultimate success of your laser treatment will depend on the skill and experience of your physician. It is important to seek the help of a board certified specialist

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Frequency of Chemical Peels

It is not possible to answer your question(s) without doing an evaluation (consultation) in person and seeing your skin type and the areas or problems you are trying to improve with the chemical peels.  As you mentioned, there are many different types and strengths of peels and the selection and frequency often depends on the skin type and problem(s) being targeted.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss your goals and the best chemical peeling regimen that will get you the results you are looking for.