Chemical Peel For Acne Scars?

I want to do a very deep peel on my face to remove my acne scars. What numbing cream should I use? Can I get it over the counter or do I need a prescription?

Doctor Answers 4

Chemical peel for acne scars

Acne scars can be a difficult problem to treat. Usually, acne scars are fairly deep and to significantly improve them you would need a deep chemical peel or a laser resurfacing procedure.  These procedures should be performed by a qualified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist.  Any over the counter regimen will most likely be either ineffective or potentially damaging to your skin.  Before proceeding with any peel, you should have an in person consultation to evaluate your skin and discuss treatment options.  

Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Acne scars & peels

Acne scars are notoriously difficult to treat - either with a chemical peel or a laser.  It's definitely an area for experts - do not try this at home.  Seriously.  Permanent problems could result.
 The professional that is doing your treatment will discuss with you the best way to have the treatment done comfortably.  

Thomas Fiala, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Avoid treating yourself with a deep peel

You should consult a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon for possible treatment options for your acne scarring.  Self-administering a chemical peel, especially a deep peel is looking for trouble since you will probably end up with worse scarring.  You require treatment from an experienced physician.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Chemical Peeling for Acne Scars

I do not support self peeling as it leads to scarring and permanent discoloration. If you want to improve your acne scars, you should consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon who actively treats acne scars. Chemical peeling is the not right treatment for most types of acne scars and when done improperly, can lead to scarring. Deep peeling especially should be done in a doctor's office and by an experienced physician. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.