Chemical Peel for Sun Spots?

I have some sun spots on my face from using a tanning bed. What kind of Chemical peel would you recommend for me?

Doctor Answers 3

Chemical Peel for Sun Spots often very effective

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although an exam would be important to give you a specific answer, I can tell you that we usually recommend an Obagi Blue TCA peel.

Here is the long answer.In addition to preventative measures - sunscreen, hydroquinone and Retinoids topically, a TCA peels can be used effectively to rejuvenate the sun and tanning bed damaged skin..  It is important to pre-treat with some prescription creams first. This is to prevent brown spots following a TCA or any other peel, laser or deep dermabrasion procedure. This is  called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. The inflammation part is a normal part of the healing process but unfortunately you are sensitive to the sun which is what causes it. Ideally your doctor would have pre-treated your skin some weeks before your treatment with Retin A, 4% hydroquinone, and a strong SPF sunscreen and/or other agents to prevent this from happening. As soon as you are given permission you would again start these products plus perhaps Kogic acid and use them for some time. Once they are established it is more difficult to get rid of. The same treatment can be done again but this time use products recommended by your doctor before and after. If these were not suggested you might want to seek another plastic surgeon or dermatologist to treat you. We personally like the Obagi Blue peel due to its safety and predictably great results

Chemical Peel for sun spots depends

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


One of the reasons you go to a plastic surgeon for a peel is to get expert advice as to how to choose the best peel for your benefit. Options vary based upon what exactly you are looking to improve (pigment, wrinkles, acne, and/or scarring) and also your skin type.

You might want to seek out an evaluation or two to figure this out more effectively. After ward stay away from the tanning beds.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Best to let your Dermatologist decide which Chem Peel is right for you !

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Since you are using tanning beds, I suspect you have been doing this for many yrs and therefore probably have wrinkled dark blotchy skin. There are so many peels now available for your doc to use that you should leave it up to him to see what you need. Some patients get 3-5 light Jessner's or 10-15% TCA peels given every 2 weeks at the cost of $250-350 each and others may need 1-2 medium 25-35% TCA peels @ a cost of $750-1500 each. It is important to pre and post treat the peels with Retin A or derivative of it and to also wear sunscreens and protect your skin.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.