Chemical Peel for Acne Scars on Dark Skin?

Hi, I have dark skin and would like to do a Chemical Peel. I have never done this before but have excessive acne scarring and dark circles. Can you tell me what product(s) I need to purchase and what %, etc. I need? Thanks!!

Doctor Answers 2

Get professional help for acne and acne scars on brown skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First of all, if you are concerned about acne scars, then you must first address your acne. This is best done with the help of a board-certified dermatologist.  Chemical peels are an excellent addition to acne medicine, especially for the scars (do you have actual scars--holes--or blemishes--brown spots)?

New York Dermatologist

Chemical peels at home?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I wouldn't make this a do it yourself project. Please visit a board certified dermatologist in your area who has experience treating brown skinned patients. There isn't a "recipe" that is good for everyone. Think about it. If it were that simple, there wouldnt be so many products on the market. A good dermatologist will come up with a plan tailored to your skin type and your needs.

Many times I will have patients come in for a chemical peel and they really don't have their acne under control. That should be Job One and then the peel can be used to address the scarring.

Good luck to you!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.