Asian eye enlargement? (Photo)

I would love for my eyes to be bigger, however I'm unsure how exactly to go about it and which processes I should consider. However, I would prefer not to create a double eyelid or create a crease at all. Which surgeries am I looking at?

Bigger eyes without an Asian eyelid crease

Yes, you can make the eyes a bit bigger in the horizontal dimension with a lateral canthopexy since I see a little lower eyelid rounding.  It is also possible to enlarge the eyes vertically by creating a very small crease but this may not be necessary.  I WILL SAY I usually am not a fan of lateral cantoplasty or canthopexy in young patients but there may be room for this in you based on your eye shape.  You have pretty eyes though!  So think about it before doing anything and be sure to see an expert.

Chase Lay, MD

Asian eyelid surgery specialist.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Opening up your eyes

The muscle that raises the eyelid attaches to the area near the lashes in everyone, but in people with an upper eyelid crease it also attaches to the skin in the middle of the lid.  This extra attachment helps to lift the excess skin created by opening the eyes off the lashes and make the eye appear more open.  Many patients of asian descent already have an upper eyelid crease, so creating one looks very natural.  If you are really against creating a crease you could try botox to lift the brow and open the lower lid.  Your lateral eyebrow is lower than it is in the middle, so a brow lift may also be an option.  This would best be determined in a face to face consult with a surgeon who performs both blepharoplasties and brow lifts. 

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Larger asian eyes

Like other asians without an eyelid crease, the skin on your upper eyelids fold over the eyelashes making the eyes appear smaller. The only real way to make the eyes look bigger would be to create an eyelid crease. The key is to keep the crease low so it looks natural and retains an asian appearance.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon