I have some cheek hollowness, what can I do to treat? (photo)

I don't know what the correct term is. It looks like hollowness in my cheeks. I'm in the 20s. What are methods to treat this?

Doctor Answers 7

Fillers or fat transfer

It looks like you could benefit from fillers at your age. This would add volume in your cheeks and other areas to give you a fuller appearance. You may also want to consider fat transfer.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

Juvederm Voluma for Hollow Cheeks

Thank you for your question and pictures.

Voluma can correct volume loss or hollowness in the cheeks.

To be sure you are a good candidate, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 182 reviews

Fillers for Cheek and Lower Eyelid Hollowness

Thank you for the question and your pictures. Especially in young people, soft tissue fillers are a great option for cheek hollowness and volume loss in the lower eyelid region.  In my practice, I use Restylane or Belotero here. This is a hyaluronic acid (HA) based filler. Injections are done in the office, with plenty of numbing cream.  I also use only fillers with pre-mixed numbing medicine. The fillers last around 6 to 9 months in most patients.  Over time, if you like the effect of the fillers but not the repeated treatments, fat grafting or cheek implants may be an option, depending on the exact area(s) that you desire enhancement.  Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Treatment of Cheek Hollowness

It appears that the hollowness is limited to just one part of your cheeks; if that is the case I'd probably recommend fat augmentation or the injection of fillers. However, I reserve the right to change my mind if I ever have the opportunity to really see your face.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Cheek augmentation for hollow cheeks

The pictures are very difficult to tell what is going on with your facial structure. Fillers can be injected into the cheeks for a temporary augmentation and improvement. When patients desire a permanent result, Silastic cheek implants are inserted under a brief general anesthetic. The cheek implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. For more information, diagrams and our cheek implant photo gallery, please see the link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

I have some cheek hollowness, what can I do to treat?

Although your photos are not optimal to evaluate, I believe some type of augmentation to your cheek will help.  Both fillers and implants will achieve this.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Treatment options for hollow cheeks

There are several treatment options to help improve hollow cheeks.  Surgical implants can be an option but it is also possible the issue could be improved with injectable fillers.  There are several different fillers that could help.  I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced with fillers to get more details about this type of treatment.  Or if you are interested in the implant option, seek a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.