Which is the Best Filler for Cheek Augmentation?

Doctor Answers 8

Cheek Fillers, Radiese, Perlane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I prefer Radiese or Perlane depending on thick the cheek sub Q fatty layer is. For thinner tissues, Perlane molds better but Radiese lasts several months longer. Radiesse at $900 per syringe is more expensive than Perlane at $800 per syringe but each Radiesse is 1.5 cc while Perlane is 1.0.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Radiesse for cheek augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several fillers that are appropriate for cheek augmentation and your surgeon will select the product that produces to best and most consistent results in their hands. I have found that Radiesse works best in this area.

Jeremy Waldman, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Restoring the cheek "apples"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you define the cheek as the area below the eyesocket, extending upward and outward towards the sideburn, there are a variety of fillers, which can be used according to the patient's wishes. For a surgical facelift patient, in addition to restoring the volume by tightening the underlying SMAS (fat and covering over the facial muscles), I will often suggest using structural fat grafts, obtained from another part of the patient's trunk. Fat lasts very well in this anatomical area, as long as the fat is harvested gently and grafted carefully.

For the nonsurgical patient, I generally prefer the Hyaluronic acid fillers (Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus), which generally last about 6 months. Discuss your concerns with your injector and choose a "temporary" filler, which will age well with you and not exclude you from having future surgery. Microinjection silicone will last longer than either Radiesse or Hyaluronic acids, but is notorious for making lumps and encasing sensory nerves. Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Volumizing Fillers Work Well For Cheek Augmentation, Mid Face Rejuvenation and Volume Restoration to the Upper Inner Cheek

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The answer to the question of which volumizing agent works best for cheek augmentation depends upon the specific cheek locations in question, the degree of volume loss in the individual patient and where the treating physician's practice is located. I have practices devoted to esthetic dermatology on both the Upper East Side of Manhattan and outside of Tel Aviv in Israel. 
In general, a deep volumizing agent is best for restoring (or sometimes creating) the region directly over the cheekbone region and sweeping back up toward the sideburn. This applies, as well to the mid-face rejuvenation, i.e. to restoring that area of the central cheek that characteristically shrinks and shrivels with the passage of time. The upper inner cheek, namely the region near the nose and under the eye does typically responds well to the use of a less volumizing filler.
In the U.S., where choices for FDA-approved injectable fillers are regrettably much more limited by sluggish FDA-approval processes, I generally treat the cheeks and mid-face with Radiesse, a calcium-based volumizer with or without the addition of Perlane L or Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, which are the hardiest of the hyaluronic acid injectables available. 
In Israel, where many more heavily volumizing injectable fillers are approved, I may use Stylage XXL, Juvederm Voluma, and Restylane Sub Q, either individually or in combination, depending upon individual needs. As a rule, I find that these agents give great lift, allow excellent molding and shaping, and maintain their correction considerably longer than their American counterparts.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Choice of filler for cheek augmentation depends on the anatomy.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


There are two entirely different situations.

1)  If you have flat cheekbones, then you want Radiesse injected DEEPLY against the bone.  This lasts years and has eliminated the use of cheek implants in our practice.

2)  For the more common upper face atrophy that comes with age, I think the best filler is Juvederm Ultra Plus injected under the skin.

Hope this is helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

There are a number of great fillers for the cheeks, which one really depends on a discussion with your doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For first-timers I always use a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane. Many patients get longer lasting results using Radiesse. For very gaunt faces that need a lot of filler, I feel that Sculptra is best. Given the many options, each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Speak to your doctor about each and what would be best for you.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 141 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}



There is a new product called Sculptra that is injected into your subcutaneous tissue and it repairs your collagen and plumbs you back up. You can read all about it on our website


Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

The best filler for cheek augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For cheek augmentation, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Sculptra or Radiesse. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect and a more natural appearance when properly placed. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they last longer than other fillers.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.