Post-Rhinoplasty swelling on nose tip after 2 years, want to learn more about steroid injections. (photos)

I had my first rhinoplasty four years ago. Then about two years ago me and my doctor decided there was still fatty tissue that needed to be taken care of and I had a corrective surgery. I have since moved away unable to reach my doctor. I have thick oily skin on my nose and knew from the beginning it would be hard for my swelling to subside. happy with my nose except for my swollen tip area ,I've heard about steroid injections but I was hoping to learn more.thank you

Pollybeak after Revision nose surgery

Fullness above the tip of the nose is commonly referred to as a polly beak. This can be due to excess scar tissue or cartilage. If it feels soft, it is most likely scar tissue and a steroid injection (may take several) is appropriate. If it feels hard it may be cartilage, and require a surgical procedure to remove. A rhinoplasty surgeon can examine you and advise you.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak deformity

Hi,

Based on your pictures, you seem to have a pollybeak deformity. There are several different types of pollybeak; cartilagenous, soft tissue, and scarring from previous rhinoplasty. Steroids would not be beneficial in improving your nose. You will need a revision rhinoplasty to correct this. Feel free to send your pics to the link below for computer imaging so you can see what your nose could look like. 

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. In evaluating your pictures I noticed that you have a couple of issues. I agree that two years after rhinoplasty swelling in the tip is highly unlikely. It is one of two issues that is occurring in this area called the supra tip. You either have scarring that can be improved with some cortisone injections or you have residual height to the supratip region in the form of excessive cartilage of the nasal septum. The second issue that you have that I see is the infra tip area which is giving your nose a shorter appearance.  You may benefit from some crushed cartilage grafting to that region to lengthen the nose. I highly recommend you seek the advice of a double board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon.  I hope that this answers your questions.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal issue

At this point it is unlikely to be swelling but rather fibrofatty tissue or scar tissue. Best to be evaluated in person. Good luck.

Post-Rhinoplasty swelling on nose tip after 2 years, want to learn more about steroid injections

After two years, the chances of the fullness in your tip being simple swelling are not good. Steriods are less likely to  be helpful in this scenario. I suspect there is still too much fibrofatty tissue in your tip or too much cartilage adding volume to the supratip area. Alternatively, it may be that the tip itself is under projected and more support in this area will improve the contours. It depend what  "look" you are after. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and imaging. Good luck. 

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Nose

shampowpants, it appears that you have retained supratip edema and need to have this removed. See a local expert; one that does "only faces". They will need to treat your supratip aggressively after the surgery to keep this scar tissue from recurring. Good luck and see the video!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon