Balding and hair growth. (photos)

I'm getting worried!! Ever since I was born I have always had baby bangs . Today I am 18 and I am noticing that they are falling out and that I'm balding. If there anything that can be done to fix this . Is there anything that I can buy over counter? If so please let me know what I can do and why this might be happening to me at such a young age.

Hair Loss

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing hair loss. Depending upon candidacy there are several efficacious hair loss treatments available. I work closely with my patients to determine what is causing their hair loss and what is best treatment option for their individual need and long term goals. What is of utmost importance is a good examination of the scalp to determine the cause of hair loss.

Highland Park Physician

Frontal hair line thinning

to make recommendation for treatment option, it is best to be examined from close up by a hair loss specialist. Once the cause for your hair loss is established the proper care can be recommended. If you pull your hair back tightly that could possibly be a cause for your hair loss.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Balding and hair growth

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone

I suggest a formal evaluation to determine your hair loss or thinning.  There are many non surgical options for improvement. Best, Dr. Emer.

Female with hair loss

Female hair loss is different from male hair loss, very different. The cause of hair loss in women is not as straight forward as it is in men, who usually follow a specific male pattern balding. Male pattern balding involves hair loss only on the front, top, and crown of the scalp. Male pattern balding spares the hair in the back and sides of the scalp, which is often referred to as permanent hair. This is the area where hair is harvested for hair transplantation. Unlike men, adult women with typical female androgenic alopecia often have significant levels of miniaturization in the donor area (back of the scalp). Miniaturization is part of the balding process where hair shafts become thinner over time before falling out. The mere presence of miniaturization is not necessarily a contraindication to surgery. However, miniaturization does indicate an unstable donor supply and one has to make a judgment regarding the risk/reward of the procedure. One needs to consider the absolute number of full terminal hairs that are available for the hair transplant, the risk of further miniaturization, the area that needs to be covered, and the risk of the surgery accelerating the hair loss (since in women, hair is often transplanted into an area that has a considerable amount of existing hair –- some of which is at risk of being shed from the surgery). Before further discussing the phenomenon of clinical (“socially” visible) hair loss, here are a few basic facts for your general knowledge. It is normal to lose 100 to even 150 hairs a day. As hair falls out there are hairs that are also starting to grow. Hair may also grow in cycles and you may notice more hair falling out at different phases and seasons of the year. Hair follicle cells have three phases of growth:
  1. Growth phase (Anagen phase) which lasts anywhere from 2 to 6 years. This is the phase where your hair is actively growing at approximately 10cm per year. 85% of hair is at this phase at any given time.
  2. Transitional phase (Catagen phase) which lasts about 2 weeks. This is the phase where the hair follicle shrinks and prepares to enter the resting phase.
  3. Resting phase (Telogen phase) which lasts about 1-6 months. This is the phase where hair does not grow, but stays attached to the follicle. Some hairs are shed at this phase, but at the end the hair follicle re-enters the growth phase to start the cycle over again. 10-15% of hairs are at this phase at any given time.
The first step in evaluating hair loss in women, after a detailed history and physical exam, is to rule out any underlying medical causes of hair loss which can be treated. If clinically appropriate, the following disease processes should be considered: anemia, thyroid disease, connective tissue disease, gynecological conditions and emotional stress. Furthermore, over 50% of women going through change of life hormone fluctuations (menopause) experience significant hair loss. It is also important to review the use of medications that may cause hair loss, such as (but not limited to) oral contraceptives, beta-blockers, Vitamin A, thyroid drugs, coumadin, and prednisone. The following laboratory tests have been recommended to rule out the aforementioned medical conditions: Some common blood tests for female hair loss:
  • Sex Hormone tests
  • SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) used to test status of male hormones
  • Estradiol is a sex hormone
  • FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) *not hair follicle but follicle in the ovary*
  • LH (Luteinizing Hormone) is a sex hormone
  • Free Testosterone
  • Total Testosterone
  • ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibody) used to test for Lupus or other autoimmune diseases
  • TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) used to test for hyper or hypo-thyroid disease
  • Test Iron status
  • TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity)
  • Ferritin
  • Iron
These laboratory tests are a good starting point to medically rule out underlying medical conditions. If there is an abnormality in your test results, we can proceed to address these medical issues. It is important to note that even after a medical condition has been corrected, your hair loss may still persist to some degree. It is thought that this is due to a “switch” in your genetic makeup that has been turned on when the medical insult had occurred. Once the hair loss starts, it is difficult to turn off this “switch”. At the very least, your hair loss may slow down and your medical condition addressed. The only medicine that seems to work for women (who do not have a medical cause of the thinning or hair loss) is minoxidil. Now with all of what I said above, there is a small subset of women who have what appears to be the ‘male’ form of alopecia with front to back balding and no miniaturization in the donor area. These women may be helped by Propecia and certainly get the types of excellent results from frontal hair transplants.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP

Hello. I understand how stressful it is to be loosing hair. Specially being such a young female. What I can think about whit none to very little side effects is PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). This procedure consists on getting some of your blood and putting it in a machine that will separate the different ingredients that are in the blood. From those ingredients we take the growth factors and inject them in your scalp. These growth factors will start working in your follicles enhancing your hair and reducing (and even stopping) the rate of your hair loss. If your follicles have not been dormant for too long the hair can regrow. A hair transplant will be the best and fastest option for you to regain your hairline and maybe you can explore financing options for your procedure.Best of lucks and I hope this answers your concerns and question.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon