Can I reduce the width of the nose without affecting the profile to much? (photos)

And what procedure would be best? My nose is quite bolbous at the end with no cartilage really. I just want it to be thinner straight on but not change my profile.

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish narrowing the wide nose. To narrow a wide bridge line requires osteotomies. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. A tip plasty is required to narrow wide nasal tip cartilages. An alar-plasty is required to narrow wide nostrils. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

That's a very good question.  I prefer a nice, natural nose, and it's important to select your surgeon who share your views on what should be done to help you achieve your goal.  Narrowing your tip should leave a minimal of 6-8 mm of tip cartilage, using sutures to further narrow your tip.  This will give you a subtle elevation of your tip, which will be a natural and not operated on appearance. 

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for repair of a bulbous nasal tip.

Your profile photo appears to show a high bridge, and there can be slight tip deprojection with tip narrowing. If that were to occur, you may need a bit of bridge lowering so the height of your bridge remains harmonious with your tip.

Consider consulting with several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Width reduction without affecting profile

The width of the tip can be improved without affecting the profile. Because you have thick skin, the tip will need to be strengthened so that the thick skin can contract around it.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I reduce the width of the nose without affecting the profile to much?

I think there is significant potential for improvement with an open rhinoplasty to narrow your tip and narrow your bridge region at the same time.  Changes to your profile would be subtle and do not need to be dramatic or noticeable.  You might also wish to consider placement of a chin implant to better balance your profile since your chin does appear to be somewhat small on your profile photograph.  This may contribute to a nice aesthetic improvement for you.  Best wishes.  Seek consultation with a couple of board-certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons with good reputations in your area.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty Question

Thank you for your question!  The brief answer to your question is that, yes, the end or tip of the nose can be refined and thinned without affecting the profile significantly.  That being said, there would be some changes in the profile view, and these would be aesthetically pleasing changes. Based on your pictures, it appears that you would benefit from an open rhinoplasty, with changes needed in the shape, size and orientation of the tip cartilages.  At the same time, you may need some change to the dorsum (bridge) of the nose, only because a change in the tip can also change the look of the dorsum.

I would suggest that you seek out a consultation with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  There you will have a physical examination and evaluation, and will be able to discuss your goals for surgery.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing the shape of the nose in one view only

That is a great question and one that requires a realistic discussion on what can and can't be accomplished through surgery. Yes, your nose could be refined and thinned on frontal view without significantly changing your profile. However most assuredly there will be some changes, although perhaps very slight ones. How significant those changes are will be something that you have to discuss with your surgeon. Will you be happy with the results if there are minor changes? Discuss this and your ideal goals of the procedure with your surgeon.  

R. Graham Boyce, MD
Covington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty: how the profile and front view are related

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

The nose is a 3-dimensional structure. A change one way affects the way it looks from other angles. This is why a hump-reduction may not be straight forward in some patients. Removing a big hump may require additional maneuvers to narrow the nose to recreate good facial proportions. Refining the tip may change the profile. I like to use 3D computer simulation to demonstrate this and get on the same page as my patient regarding the changes they desire.  It's important to consult with a surgeon who understands these relationships for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon