A little over 2 weeks ago I had Septoplasty; is this swelling normal? (Photos)

Hello! A liitle over 2 weeks ago I had Septoplasty, Polyp Removal, Bilateral Sinus Surgery and Bilateral Alar Batten Graft Placements. The inside of my left nostril has considerable swelling, the right side has mild swelling. Is this normal? I had 1 Kenalog injection into the swollen tissue in my left nostril with no success. Is there anything I can do at home to bring down the swelling other than saline rinses? On a side note, my doctor advised me to use nasal cones at night.

#Septoplasty

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Alar Batten Graft Swelling

It is very early in your recovery, but it appears that your left alar batten graft may be responsible for your fullness inside your left nostril. Avoid manipulation and picking at this area. If the grafted site does not improve over the next 8-12 months, you may need to consider having the alar batten graft removed, modified or repositioned for correction. Nasal cones at night maybe helpful in the short term. However, if the graft is too big or out of position, kenalog injections or cones will likely not be helpful. Hope things improve. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon