How can I help internal scar tissue to heal?

I had a tummy tuck late Feb. of 2015, I still have lots of fluid retention in my abdomen. I massage the scar tissue a few times a week but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am loathe to return to my plastic surgeon because my whole experience with her was poor, including that I very much wanted a mini-tuck & she insisted I would get a much better result this way. This has been a disaster! I look and feel so much worse than I did before the surgery! How can I help my lymphatic system heal?

Thank you for your question i am sorry to hear about your  situation the best is to follow up with your sergeon I truly suggest you see her in follow-up for an evaluation.

TT problems

Dear CP,
 Sorry for your problems with the tummy tuck surgery. 
 Without pictures or direct examination it is impossible to give you an intelligent  response to your question.
 I understand your reluctance to return to your surgeon, so, your best option is to consult with an experience board certified plastic surgeon, who performs lots of redo tummy tucks in accredited surgery center. 
 That is because after 16 months from your surgery, lymphatic massage is useless and most likely the solution to problem is surgical, meaning, unfortunately,  redo tummy tuck.
 Due to you disappointing outcome,  do your due diligence and check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive,
                                   Dr Widder

Tummy tuck - still retaining fluid and don't like the surgeon!

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• I am sorry you are having such problems so long after your tummy tuck.
  • Without examining you, it is hard to know what is causing your problems.
  • I am very sorry your relationship with your surgeon is strained.
  • That said, I truly suggest you see her in follow-up for an evaluation.
  • AND get a second opinion.
  • It is possible that you have a seroma that hasn't subsides 
  • And it is possible that injections may help the scar.
  • It may also help to compare before/after photos to see what improvement you actually have.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  Though I understand your frustration with your surgeon your best source of advice will be their office as they know the full details of your procedure. I would recommend trying to achieve some better communication method to ensure your continued recovery.  That said, many patients still experience swelling to their lower abdomen after a tummy tuck 4 months after surgery.  This can be improved with a compression garment, such as a Spanx, until your body has sufficient time to heal.  There is little you can do to help your lymphatic and venous system heal, outside of having the patience to allow more time to pass. It is important to rule out other possible causes of swelling - discrete fluid collection, residual adipose tissue, or stomach muscle laxity - which your surgeon can help do.  Hang in there!