Hard swelling after Smart Lipo. 7days. Will this go away? (Photo)

I had a full tummy tuck, muscle repair with lipo on my hips and back. My back is very swollen and hard. Will this go away?

When will swelling go away?

Hi! It typically takes 3-6 months for swelling to reslove post op. It is normal to be black and blue after liposuction, Smartlipo or traditional. If you're concerned about the area, call your doctors office. Don't be afraid to communicate your concerns with your doctor. Best of luck to you!

Reading Plastic Surgeon

This will improve with time

it is not unusual to get bruising after liposuction and areas of firmness. i would recommend gentle massage and movement etc. the bruising will take 2-3 weeks to resolve. 

If you had Smartlipo (laser lipo), you will continue to improve for 6 months, so be patient. 

of course once you are feeling better, you will improve your results, if you are careful with your diet and exercising.

hang in there. the early period can be a bit tough for some people.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. Hardness in the area is common after SmartLipo and will begin resolving over the next 3 months. I usually have my patient’s wear their compression garments with topifoam and daily light massaging to break it up and make the area smoother and softer. You can also take 1 capsule of Resveratrol a day to assist in recovery. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Normal healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Thank you for posting your question. At one week post operation, bruising and swelling are both normal and expected. Because of the number of area and the type of procedures you underwent, it will take about 4-6 months for swelling to go away. Please be patient and give your body time to readjust. Continue following up closely with your surgeon to address any discomfort or concern. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might have a fluid collection above the buttocks

The area just above the crease of the buttocks is prone to fluid collections if there is nowhere for the fluid to escape. This happens only if lipo was done in that area. Go see your surgeon.

Aftercare After Liposuction--Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra, Vanquish, Cellutone/Zwave, Hyperbaric Oxygen

Yes, swelling can last 3-6 months after your procedure. I recommend adding lymphatic massage and hyperbaric oxygen along with your compression to help reduce swelling. I also recommend adding coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and smooth the skin's appearance. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lipo and swelling

Thank you for your question. It look like a swelling and bruising. It will take several weeks for it to come down. It it is hard I recommend to see your PS for evaluation to make sure no collection.

Swelling

Make sure you do follow-ups with your surgeon. Swelling and firmness can mean a fluid collection is trapped under the skin. Keep wearing your compression garment and consider lymphatic massage.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Needs an exam

Best and safest to have an exam by your surgeon.

You could have blood or fluid that is creating the hardness.