Tummy Tuck, BBL, and Breast Lift all together or split them up in 2 visits. Which is better? (photos)

I have decided I will be getting a tummy tuck, bbl and a breast lift but I'm not sure if I should choose 2 together and go back for the last one or should I do all three at one time but I'm told it's risky doing long surgery hours and best result come when surgery is done in shorter times. I'm a healthy mother of 4 and need advice planning surgery June 2016

Tummy Tuck, BBL, and Breast Lift all together or split them up in 2 visits. Which is better?

Combining a tummy tuck, BBL and a breast lift procedure is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, the extent of the procedures, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, many ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Sequence of body contouring surgery

Thank you for your pictures. I would have your little section of fat transfer as one surgery. Six months after that have your breast lift and tummtuck. 

Sequence of body contouring surgery

Thank you for your question and photograph.  In general the decision to perform all the procedures during a single operation versus staging them is based on your overall health and anticipated surgical time.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  They will be able to guide you on the best recommendations for the procedures and treatments to help you best reach your goals.    

Mommy makeover

Your best bet would to get in person consultations with board certified PS who can go over your options.  Also it would be best for you to get to your ideal weight.  From your pictures it looks like you have intrabdominal fat that will not go away with a tummy tuck only.  You will need to adhere to a healthy diet and exercise.  Good luck!

Mommy makeover

Do BBL with lipo first! than wait 3 months for full TT+BL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mommy makeover – multiple procedures
You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discussing your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure in person and what you can realistically expect. Then you can make an informed decision on which procedure(s) to start with according to your desires, recovery time necessary, your history and current health. Surgery after children is very rewarding for our patients. One of the most important factors is not only your health going into the procedure(s) but the support system you have available for your recovery time and the amount of time you can seriously devote to recovery. If you have four active children and only a few days where you can rely on assistance driving, taking care of housework and children and daily activities then staging the procedures may be your best option. If you have help for a good two weeks where you can really focus on you and your recovery and someone else is going to take care of the daily routine and responsibilities than it is not uncommon to do combined procedures for one surgery, one recovery. Patients that have the needed recovery time scheduled in advance usually recover faster as they don't have the added stress of knowing they are needed 4 days after a tummy tuck to be back to their normal routine. Take all of this into consideration with your surgeon when making this decision and get realistic answers to your concerns in advance will make the whole process easier.

Congratulations on your decision!

Mommy makeover – multiple procedures

Congratulations on your decision!

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely. However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery…
In my opinion, the combination procedures you are considering would be too much to perform in a single session.  
It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations.
Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Always keep priorities (safety, avoidance of complications, and quality of outcome) in mind as you make your decisions. Best wishes.

Timing of multiple procedures

I can see where you would want all of this done at once but there is the time concern, which you have already mentioned.  If you can get everything done in five hours then I think you would be OK, /that would take a good surgeon and an excellent first assist that can sow. If there is only one surgical sower then I would definitely break the procedures up. That is safer with less complications.

Wishing you all the best,

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Timing of multiple procedures

Wishing you all the best,

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Combination Procedures

Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc after childbirth.

Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands. The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation. This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Our patients are typically wlking the same day and tapering off of pain medications by 4-5 days. By a week, our internattional patients are generally touring around Cartagena enjoying the sites of this UNSECO World Heritage City. Patients progress to unrestricted activities by 2 months, just as the final results are settling in.

Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Combination Procedures

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... If you do not have any health issue, CBC values are ok... you can have both procedures done together, if you prefer only one... start with the Liposuction and BBL.

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Luis A. Mejia, MD