Wondering if 230/250cc is enough for fullness? (Photo)

Hello, Had a consultation for lollipop breast lift with implants. My question is, after his measurements, he suggested I go with a 230cc implant and no higher than 300cc. I believe I have quite a bit of tissue and density. So my question is this - is 230 enough to give me volume and perkiness or should I go a tad bigger? Obviously I don't want to sag again in a few years, but I do like the round fake look. I'm currently a D and want to be a full C/perky D. Any advice is much appreciated!

Wondering if 230/250cc is enough for fullness?

Thank you for the question and pictures.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, it is difficult to achieve the “perfect” result with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, despite best efforts. Patients should be aware of the complexity of this combination procedure, achieve REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS prior to proceeding, and understand that additional surgery ( along with the additional recovery time, stress, expenses etc) may be necessary in the short or long-term. Patients should understand that the results of the procedure will not necessarily match aesthetically the results of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery only.

For example, some patients who wish to maintain long-term superior pole volume/"roundness" or "implanted look" may find that this result is not achieved after the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. 

An additional operation, possibly involving capsulorrhaphy, may be necessary to achieve the patient's longer-term goals ( with superior pole volume/roundness). It is helpful if patients understand that this breast implant capsule used to provide the support for the breast implant is not present during the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. The capsule (layer of scar tissue) forms around the breast implant and may be a good source of supportive tissue during revisionary breast surgery, Including correction of breast implant displacement/malposition problems ( such as bottoming out, symmastia, lateral displacement etc).

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “fulness” or "C or D cup” or "round fake look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

You appear to have a good operative plan and are just questioning the implant size.Ultimately, the tighter the lift and the bigger the implant the perkier the outcome.Your implant choice should be based on her breast footprint and an experienced surgeon's opinion of what will get you to roughly a C/D range.  You are already starting with a D cup and even after lifting the breast (removing skin) you still begin with quite a bit of breast tissue.  It sounds like at 230 to 300 cc you are hovering in an appropriate implant size.

You are a Great Candidate for A Circumareolar Augmentation Mastopexy

Looking at your breasts suggests that you would be an ideal candidate for a "Tear Drop Augmentation Mastopexy". The incision is around the areola and the upper pole of the breast is filled with lifted breast tissue. Further, since the implant is not pushing down on the lift sutures, the lift is durable and symmetrical.If you would like more information, read my book "Cosmetic Breast Surgery - A complete guide from A to Double D". 

Robert M. Freund, MD

I'm wondering if you need the lift....

Really depends on your current measurements and your goals, but with the right implant, I think you could get your lower pole filled out with a shaped implant and not need a lift.  A dual plane or subglandular augmentation might also be the trick and save you the incision and cost.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Try on implant sizers

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Implant size for fullness

You have perfect breasts for augmentation.  You do not need a lift (more cost, more scars, longer convalescence). DSepending on your height, as well as chest dimensions, to be a full C+ or D cup  I think 250- to 300cc implants will give you natural looking breasts to be proud of.  Your size is best discussed with your Plastic surgeon during your consultation/examination.   I can only estimate from your photo.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast lift with an implant

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast lift with an implant.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD