Weight after extended tummy tuck. (photo)

At my pre op which was a month prior to surgery I weighed 141 and I began to watch what I ate. I am 5'2 and asked before the procedure if I needed to loose weight and he said no. At 6 weeks post op I am 130 lbs. The doctor said I need to loose 5 to 10 lbs to have a flat stomach. Is that normal? I have lipo of upper, lower and flanks. Why would I have loose more weight to have a flat stomach? He said that he couldn't lipo everything. So confused about the purpose of tummy tuck. Please help. Thank you!!

Weight after extended tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  There are two areas of fat present in any persons abdomen, separated by the stomach muscles.  The more superficial fat is the fat that you can pinch with your fingers and is found just beneath your skin.  This is the fat that is removed during a tummy tuck as well as during liposuction.  The muscle layer is also taken care of during a tummy tuck, tightening them to internally cinch your waist, improving your results.  Deep to this layer of muscle is your internal organs - stomach, intestines, liver, etc.  These tissues have fat in and around them that can cause some peoples stomachs to not be flat.  Unfortunately this fat can only be affected by diet and exercise and is likely the reason that your surgeon has asked you to lose weight.  I hope this helps explain things.

Your visceral amount of fat most likely is the issue? But only in person second opinion examination will allow a definitive dx.

Losing weight after tummy tuck

Your surgeon is correct to some extent.  When combining liposuction and tummy tucks, there is a limited amount of liposuction that can be done on the abdominal skin.  If the surgeon aggressively tries to thin out the abdominal fat, it can damage the blood flow to the abdominal skin and lead to wound healing problems post-op.  Therefore, most people still need to lose some weight after lipo/tummy tuck to end up with a really flat belly.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD