Three Weeks Post Lipo on Thighs...Is this normal?

lipo on my inner/outer thighs & medial knee 3 wks ago (tomorrow). I think he ~2000 ml. I was 110-111# preop. I am still over (115 today). I started exercising (walking & elliptical). Im a dietitian so I know what I am eating. I don't see a difference in my thighs. Should I be concerned or am I being impatient. I have heard that it can take smaller people longer? Should I see anything by now? Or is it swelling keeping me from seeing a difference. I also thought wt would have settled by now?

Swelling can last 1-3 months after liposuction

You shouldn't be concerned at this time. The more active you are the longer it may take to resolve but it should get better and better over the next 1-2 months 

Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Thigh liposuction - no change at 3 weeks.

Thank you for asking about your thigh liposuction.

• This sounds entirely normal -
  • Liposuction creates lots of swelling - you will not lose weight.
  • Swelling has only begun to go down -
  • You are likely to see some improvement by 6 weeks
  • You see your final result at 6 months.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Swelling resolution after liposuction may take many months, and with the extent of liposuction apparently performed on your thighs and knee I would recommend allowing at least three months to pass before assessing your results.  Much of your swelling will improve over the next 3-5 weeks.  I know it is difficult but hang in there!

3 weeks post op lipo

Since you are only 3 weeks I would be patient.It can take a little time ie 6 to 8 weeks or  more to get where you want to be so warm compresses and massage will help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Residual Swelling

At the three week mark you still have swelling not allowing you to see the full results. I let  my patients know that swelling can last up to 12 months before they can see the full results. I also have my patients wear tight compression in the liposuctioned areas to help reduce swelling for 6 weeks post op. Ensure that you are taking vitamin E and massaging the area(s) that had liposuction done to reduce scar tissue. 

As for the weight, I would not worry about it as people usually fluctuate in their weight at least 0-5lbs. Once you are able to fully get back to your daily routines your weight should go back to pre-surgical weight without some small amounts of your body retaining water. 

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon