Could vaginal rejuvenation make a difference?

I had a full hysterectomy and I feel like my partner doesn't enjoy sex with me anymore

Vaginoplasty : what a difference a day makes.

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter and increasing friction during sex. Aesthetic vaginal surgery can improve the appearance of the vagina and provide more control over the vaginal muscles. The muscle ring , pubococcygeus,at the entrance or introituscan be tightened. These procedures along with exercises such as kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area. These treatments will noticeably tighten the inner and outer vagina.

Intimacy After a Hysterectomy

In order to better answer your question I would need a bit more information. After your hysterectomy does your partner feel the vagina is too short, too wide, that he is "hitting up against something", too dry, or is he concerned you are experiencing pain with intercourse or finding it harder to achieve orgasm? A hysterectomy alone shouldn't affect the diameter or looseness of your vagina, although it may affect the length. I would recommend you start with a discussion with your gynecologist and ideally have your partner join you for the conversation. Once you both can pin-point the problem you can solve it with one-another's support. Cheers!

Vaginal Rejuvenation can make a difference

Great question! While having a full hysterectomy should have no effect on your partners enjoyment, my question would be how was your sex life prior too?  I would suggest you visit the ThermiVa website to learn more about this non surgical vaginal rejuvenation treatment.  ThermiVa uses RF (radio frequency) to warm the tissue
to stimulate the collagen of the vaginal walls, increasing the blood flow and
vaginal moisture. It can also be used externally to assist in the labia
retracting giving it a more youthful look. There is no downtime with the
ThermiVa treatments allowing you to return to all your normal daily activities
including sexual intercourse.  ThermiVa requires up to 3- 4 treatments for maximum
results. ThermiVa addresses vaginal dryness, vaginal laxity & vaginal
tightness. However, ThermiVa is also known for addressing mild to
moderate incontinence and increased orgasms as well as the time it takes to
reach an orgasm. With ThermiVa I have seen immediate visual results of
the inner and outer vagina after the first treatment. The patients have
called me the very next day excited about their sexual encounter while others
mentioned noticing no leakage. I would recommend you consulting with your
treating physician to learn more about the ThermiRF/ThermiVa procedure . I hope this helps. Best of luck with your decision!

Camille Cash, MD

What's a full hysterectomy, a partial hysterectomy & how do they affect sex?

Believe it or not, "full" hysterectomy and "partial" hysterectomy are slang phrases that have no medical meaning. Hysterectomy means removal of the uterus. The uterus has two parts - the body and the cervix. Removal of both of these parts together is officially termed a "total hysterectomy", while removal of just the body of the uterus is known as a "subtotal" or "supracervical" hysterectomy.

Many patients and some physicians are under the mistaken impression that the slang term "full hysterectomy" indicates that the tubes and ovaries were removed, and that the term "partial hysterectomy" indicates that they were not removed. I have no idea what your surgery was. The correct medical terminology for removal of the tubes and ovaries is a giant word - bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy or BSO. A total hysterectomy with BSO means everything was removed. So, when someone claims to have had a "full hysterectomy", it is unclear what they mean or whether they still have their ovaries.

So, back to the question about sex after hysterectomy. If the ovaries were removed, you were officially in menopause the moment you awakened from surgery and your question has more to do with sex after menopause. If your ovaries were not removed, your question has more to do with the mental and physical recovery from pelvic surgery in general. Of course, both factors are in play. Go see your gynecologist.

Thank you asking :
Having hysterectomy by it self should not have any effect on you or your partner as far as enjoying sex. You are the same.
Because during the procedure the uterus and or possible cervix has been removed, while vaginal canal still is there and functional.

what you need to do is first ask your partner if he is feeling anything different than before, than ask you doctor to tell you if the length of vagina has shorten a lot .

next question is for you, do feel different ? depends of what you feel we can talk and make suggestions to you to help you feel more complete, in charge, sure about yourself and your sexuality.

Good Luck and Best of Health

Sex after hysterectomy

Sexual satisfaction is multifactorial. Adequate hormones need to be present, you must have adequate stimulation, your response to sex can affect his response and vice versa, his and your emotional situation may be a factor as can stress, there should not be pain with sex, and many more factors can decrease sexual response. Did you have great sex before the hysterectomy? Most men have just the same enjoyment from sex after their partner had a hysterectomy as before. If not, you and he should see a doctor to find out if there is a problem with one or several of these factors.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Can Vaginal Rejuvenation make a difference after hysterectomy?

Dear Sanuahart,

The answer is it depends on your symptoms and amount of pelvic relaxation (which occurs over time with the impact of gravity, our tissue elasticity and lifestyle).

From what you have said, "I feel like my partner doesn't enjoy sex with me anymore", my first thought is have you asked your partner how he feels?  More importantly, are you having less sensation and/or less intense orgasms?  Do you have other functional issues like constipation, hemorrhoids, tampons that don't stay in, partner fall-out due to weakened vaginal opening muscles, having to manually assist with bowel movements by pressing on the perineum (space between the vaginal opening and anus) or pressing on the back vaginal wall or gas-like noises during sex?  Any procedure you choose to have should be for yourself primarily. 

Vaginal tightening for more sensation and better orgasms can be accomplished with the new non-surgical in-office, no cutting or downtime, radiofrequency treatment called ThermiVa, which takes three treatments of about 15-30 minutes four to six weeks apart depending on the results you want to achieve. Since there is no cutting or anesthesia, you can return to work immediately and exercise and have sex the same night.  Maximum results are seen about three months after the last treatment and should last a year or more.  ThermiVa stimulates the tissues to shrink with heat and fibroblasts to make new collagen under the skin.  It is not ablative like the lasers so less scar tissue is formed.  ThermiVa can also help with incontinence (both stress incontinence and over-active bladder), vaginal dryness causing painful intercourse from menopause, orgasmic dysfunction, and laxity (sagginess) of the vulvo-vaginal structures (the outer labia majora, clitoral hood and perineum).

There is the surgical option of tightening/re-supporting the vaginal canal depending on your anatomy and symptoms. If you have moderate to severe pelvic relaxation and the sensation of being too wide or loose, surgery is probably a better option since it is longer-lasting and pulls the muscles back together with sutures. If you have the sensation of being too smooth (due to over-secretion of mucous or loss of vaginal ridges) there are out-patient procedures to treat these.

The best way to know what your options are is to schedule a consult with a highly experienced cosmetic gynecologist who is trained in both the surgical and non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation procedures.  Get more than one opinion if necessary.  You can read more on vaginal rejuvenation procedures at the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Vaginal rejuvenation

This is such an important question, but so much information is missing.
I do not personally like the term "rejuvenation" means so many different things to so many people.
 There are many options, again depending on your particular circumstances.
      Mona Lisa Touch Laser
      vaginoplasty
      estrogen therapy
 and much more. Open up to your OB/GYN and see what she or he has to offer.
Good luck

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Sex after hysterectomy

Hello. Thank you for your question. Vaginal rejuvenation could help with your symptoms. It depends on the specific nature of your symptoms. I recommend an examination to determine the length of your vagina, to assess any issues with dryness, and to tease out the exact nature of the complaints your partner may have. Best wishes 
~Dr. Poucher