How soon can I get a Tummy tuck after a c section child birth?

Wait time after c section

Most surgeons would suggest that you wait 3-6 months, be close to your pre-pregnancy weight and be sure that you don't want additional children before considering tummy tuck.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

4-6 months

Hello, its a very good question, conventional tummy tuck with muscle repair is recommended  4-6 months after pregnancy, this is because there is some regression of the uterus and the tissues in this period, a nd must wait this period to be completed. Full conventional tummy tuck is a procedure that that has a duration of 3-4 hours and has a recuperation time of around 4 weeks. costs varies from US$3,500-4,000. 

Regards, Dr Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Tummy Tuck after C-Section

Thank you for your question. It will be best to wait 3-6 months. Find a board certified plastic surgeon, look at their before and after photos, check credentials, read reviews, etc. Be sure to ask them every question during consultation.

German Newall, MD

Tummy Tuck

I'm sure there's a lot of answers to this question each based on the experience of the surgeon. In my experience, it takes at least three months for the weight after childbirth to be stabilized and the increased size of the blood vessels of the abdominal wall from pregnancy to return to their pre-pregnancy size. After that, in my opinion it's safe to proceed with a tummy tuck which usually includes excision of the old C-section scar. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after c-section

Great question. The first thing I ask is "are you finished having kids?" if not, wait until you are finished making your family before having a tummy tuck. If you've had a C-section and are finished having children I think most Plastic Surgeons would recommend waiting at least 6 months for the "hormonal storm" of pregnancy to settle before considering a tummy tuck. I would recommend getting as close to your desired or goal weight after pregnancy and then see about the tummy tuck. Most women who have had both, report that recovery from the C-section was more difficult than the tummy tuck. Speak to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Best Wishes,
Michael Morrissey

You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a tummy tuck. Most ethical plastic surgeons would suggest waiting at least 6 months after delivering because:
Your body, including your abdomen is still changing.
You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.
You cannot lift the baby postoperatively for weeks after a tummy tuck or “mommy makeover”. The number of
 weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.
You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after C-section

First, make sure that you are done having babies!  You don't want a pregnancy to stretch a tummy tuck result.

It really depends how much weight gain you had during pregnancy and what final weight you would like to be.  Plastic surgery is always done best with a patient near their ideal body weight.  So however long it takes you to get there is how long you should wait. 

When there is less fat under the skin, the  skin can be made tighter.  When there  is less fat inside the  abdomen (visceral fat), then the muscle fascia can be tightened more.  This leads to  optimal results. 

Timing for tummy tuck/abdominoplasty after C-section.

Hi…

I would wait at least three months after your C-section to get a tummy tuck/abdominoplasty. That is a general guideline, though. Equally important is that you lose a majority of the baby weight that you put on or stabilize your weight after your pregnancy. Also, it is important that you are done breast-feeding, if you choose to do so.

It's absolutely vital that you seek the advice of the plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery.

I wish you the best. Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Tummy tuck after c-section

Hi, ladybug007.
Your body goes through many changes after c-section.
Please lose your pregnancy weight and get to your stable, goal weight for at least 3 months.
You should also have time to recover from c-section.
It does take at least 6 weeks for the uterus to decrease down to the pre-pregnancy size.
Once you are fully recovered from c-section mentally and physically and has reached your goal weight, please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person.
Best regards.

Tummy tuck after C-section

I would recommend waiting at least six months. Give your body time to get over the pregnancy. Also it takes a while for the muscles to return from Whence they came. Have patience.