Tummy tuck after breast lift. What should I expect?

I'm interested in getting a breast lift within the next few weeks and then a tummy tuck in June. What should I expect? Will my newly lifted breasts be pulled down? Is this a good idea to perform the procedures in this order?

Scheduling surgeries

The tummy tuck is going to have a much longer and more intense recovery that your breast lift. So, in terms of scheduling, it's really up to you. Can you take more time for your recovery in June? If so, keep things as they are. Otherwise, adjust accordingly. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Combining tummy tuck and breast lift

Whereas, a good number of our patients have these two procedures performed in the same operative session, no two patients are completely the same and I am of the opinion that more should actually separate the two by 6-12 weeks. The "bigger" recovery tends to be the tummy tuck since a majority benefit from a correction of the muscle separation. Therefore, it matters more how does a recovery that involves your core (which virtually effects everything that you do) fit your plans, rather than what comes first. Neither should adversely effect your aesthetic results of the other. 

Michael Clinton, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and Mastopexy

Often these procedures in my practice are combined. If affordable they can save on multiple anesthetics and allow for a very dramatic result in improving the entire trunk( tummy and breasts). It also combines the recovery and the individual procedures can be performed in unison to complement each other. If each procedure is approximately a 2 week recovery, then combined it can be just a 2 week time off of family and work. If it is elected to separate them, then the final outcome is not likely to be compromised. Best of good luck. 

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Mommy Makeover

Should you be a good candidate, many patients have these surgeries performed at the same time. This often decreases the cost and recovery time. Having them performed separately shouldn't affect your final results.  

I'd recommend speaking to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what your best options would be. 

Take care. 

Timing surgeries for best outcomes

Hi and thanks for posting your question to RealSelf.com!

As surgeons, we try to make recommendations to our patient's for best outcomes. We work to maximize the result and minimize the risk of any operation we suggest. It's true that the two operations that you have elected to undergo can be done safely with good results in a combined manner. 

In my practice, if you couldn't have the procedures at the same time, I would typically counsel you to have the tummy procedure first and follow this with a breast lift procedure to minimize your risk of  breasts being "pulled down." Special consideration and care needs to be taken when staging operations and your surgeon will likely take care to maximize your results and not distort your previous operation. 

Each patient's situation is different. It's important that you speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns and together make a decision that is best for you.

I wish you the very best!

Rachel Streu, MD

Surgery timing

Thanks for your question. It is a bit unusual to separate these procedures as both can be done at the same time safely. Separating them is going to require more recovery time than necessary. It is very common to perform an abdominoplasty and breast surgery at the same time. There are times when we stage a breast lift and breast augmentation to ensure the blood supply to the nipple is maintained, but this is a different situation. I suggest you go for a second opinion with a reputable board certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at the same time as breast lift usually best

For most patients, there is no reason to do the breast lift and the tummy tuck at different times. Doing them together will save money and recovery time. If you do decide to stage them, the order makes no difference.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck and Breast Lift at the same time

It is standard practice at least in my office to have both of these procedures completed together.  I am not an advocate of having my patients undergo anesthesia unnecessarily.  I would suggest having your surgeon discuss the risks of doing the procedure together as well as separate. Good luck to you
Dr. Kotis

John A. Kotis, DO, FACS, FACOS

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  You can actually have these procedures performed at the same time in what is known as a "mommy makeover."  This reduces the recovery time by having the procedures performed together as opposed to separately, where you would have two different recovery periods.  Be sure that if you are considering this, you choose a surgeon who is board-certified in plastic surgery and is an expert in the tummy tuck and breast lift procedures performed at the same time.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for your question.  Many people can have both procedures addressed at one surgical sequence.  Your surgeon can assess your risk factors and let you know your options.  Doing them separately is fine as well.  There are several advantages of having both at the same time such as lower cost, one recovery period, less time off of work for healing.  I would start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in these areas. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon