What is the cause and what treatment should I get for asymmetrical eyes? (Photos)

Hello, I have two different eyes, I'm not sure what caused it and would like some advice of what procedure would need to be done? Thank you.

Eyelid position

An in-person examination is required to fully assess/diagnose and recommend treatment options for eyelid malposition/asymmetry since movement criteria are involved in the process.

You have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis. The left side is worse than the right.

This requires surgery.  Ptosis surgery will lift the eyelids and is performed to lift the eyelid margin to a more normal position.  A careful consultation with a fellowship trained oculplastic surgeon will determine which of the ptosis surgeries will be right for you.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you identify a highly qualified surgeon close to home.

Mild Left upper lid aponeurotic ptosis

Hi. Greetings from the UK. You've got signs of very mild left (YOUR left) upper lid aponeurotic dehiscence. Within your eyelid you have a tendon which is called the levator aponeurosis whose role is the elevate the eyelid. The skin crease is an attachment between the skin and the underlying aponeurosis. You a developing asymmetry due to early dehiscence of the aponeurosis into its component layers. You also have  a minimal ptosis. As it's fairly mild we'd normally advise observation alone but with time if it worsens you'd benefit from levator aponeurosis repair/ advancement if you went on to develop a droopy eyelid (ptosis correction) +/- blepharoplasty in the form of skin crease reformation. Best Wishes David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of the eyelids and orbits

An evaluation by an Oculoplastics specialist will provide you with answers to your questions and options for repair. You are correct that the position of the eyes is asymmetric - the left appears more prominent or proptotic in your photographs, and it appears you have ptosis in the first photo. A history and examination with specific measurements of the eyelids and orbits will help with your diagnosis. An examination is wise. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon