ThermiVa after hysterectomy and bladder sling?

Is a bladder sling a contraindication for the thermiva treatment?

Hysterectomy or sling not a contraindication, but must be completely healed.

Having a hysterectomy or a bladder sling is not a contraindication for having ThermiVa performed.  The surgical sites must be completely healed with no sling material exposed.  Make sure you choose a physician to do your ThermiVa who has experience with bladder slings/reconstructive surgery as that is who will be able to examine you and determine if ThermiVa is right for you and if you have healed appropriately.  Good luck!

Is a sling a contraindication for thermiva?

We perform thermiva on patients who have had slings or pelvic graft or pelvic mesh.  Thermiva can be a useful supplement and adjuvant therapy.  I think if you have had a sling or graft you should have the thermiva performed by the doctor who did the sling or at least by a clinician that also specializes in sling placement.  This is the type of doctor who understands your anatomy the best and what you are trying to accomplish.  

ThermiVa and Slings

I would agree with the answer.  ThermiVa is a totally non invasive treatment with no disruption of the vaginal mucosa. 

ThermiVa after Sling

Thank you for your question - I'm sure many others have wondered the same thing.  ThermiVa is totally safe after a sling procedure and will still provide results without structurally damaging the sling material.  I would caution you to make sure the sling has completely healed - this is best done by a thorough examination by the surgeon who placed the sling, or, at least, a surgeon who performs this procedure regularly.  Assuming all is well with the exam, then I see no reason to not proceed with the ThermiVa procedure.

Hysterectomy and Sling, ok for Thermiva?

Yes, the Thermiva procedure is fine to do after those procedures. It will help with urinary incontinence, laxity, lubrication, and labial hypertrophy. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

ThermiVa with bladder sling

Thanks for your question. This issue has been studied. The depth of placement of the sling is expected to be deeper than the depth of penetration of the RF energy of ThermiVa. However, even if this happens to not be the case, the temperature of ThermiVa, though very effective for vaginal rejuvenation, is well below the temperature that would be required to disrupt the material the sling is made of. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

ThermiVa safe after hysterectomy and bladder sling

Having had either a hysterectomy or a bladder sling is no contraindication to use of ThermiVa for vaginal rejuvenation.

No problem with nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation after a sling procedure

With lasers such as FemiLift or MonaLisa the sling itself is avoided, but the remaining 99 percent of the vagina is treated, with RF such as Thermiva the temperature is too low to do anything to the sling. You'll be fine.