How soon after BA surgery can I start doing yoga?

Yoga, exercise, stretching, headstand, upper body. How about weight training and chest exercises? What are some concerns must patients share about exercising after augmentation?

Yoga Post Breast Augmentation

As I recommend to my patients, you should avoid heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, #yoga, etc.

If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Start off slowly

Yoga can be quite vigorous, so you may need to wait 6 weeks after surgery. That includes weight training. However, you should check with your surgeon. Start off slowly and build up to your previous intensity.

BA and exercise

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation.  Please ask your PS about his/her specific recommendations.

Exercising after breast augmentation

If you have a breast augmentation and the implant was placed beneath the muscle, I typically ask patience to wait 4-6 weeks before restarting strenuous exercise programs. This protects your muscle protects the result and keeps you comfortable.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr. MD DDS Visio

#breastaugmentation , #cosmeticsurgery , breast implants

Dear MariF

Thank you for your question!  The return to activities is dependent on your surgeon- so please inquire with them and follow their instructions.  In my practice- I do not have any restrictions for patients undergoing Breast Augmentation Surgery.

With Warm Regards,
Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Yoga after breast implant surgery

Of course you will want to follow the specific advice of the plastic surgeon who provides your surgery.

That said the general recovery time after breast augmentation surgery is usually 2 weeks.  However this depends on a smooth recovery and no unusual difficulties.

However vigorous exercise such as weight lifting and other activities which require vigorous upper body motion should be delayed 4-6 weeks.  Only you know the type of effort that you exert during your particular style of yoga and if significant stretching and muscle exertion of the upper body is required you might be better to wait the 4-6 weeks.

Exercise after breast augmentation

All plastic surgeons will have different post operative protocols.  It is best that you understand and follow your plastic surgeon's advice.  In general you wan to avoid having the breasts bounce up and down over the first 6 weeks after surgery.  Yoga may be okay but you want to avoid exercises such as bench pressing and push ups for this same 6 week period.  

Exercise after breast augmentation

The answer to your questions would depend upon whether or not your implants are over or under the pectoral muscles.  Recovery for under the muscle placement is longer.  Ask your surgeon for details as to what they would recommend.