Is it possible to have a Rhinoplasty to achieve Angelia Jolie or Jennifer Lopez?

They both had slightly wide noses if you see photos of them from many year ago. I am looking for the same subtle change. I am very, very afraid of a nose that looks distorted or becomes upturned after surgery. I want a tip that is more refined. Does that increase the chance I will end up with an upturned nose. From profile, my nose is fine.

Rhinoplasty like JLo or Angelina Jolie

Thank you for your question. It would be a lot easier to give you an answer if there were some pictures of your nose. It is probable that a board certified plastic surgeon would be able to give you the look you desire. Be sure to consult prior to making any decisions. Good luck with your future surgery.

Celebroplasty

More than ever we have patients using celebrities as their model for expected results.  While this is helpful to establish preferences, it may also be possible that your nose has no chance of achieving these pre-determined results. Having said that, also remember that many of these celebrities have had more than one procedure to achieve these results--Nicole Kidman's nose over her career has changed more than once but the final outcome is exquisite.  Be prepared for that possibility.  finally, narrowing the nose without lowering it is often hard for surgeons to achieve.  In my experience when the nose is narrowed, even without any intentional lowering of the height there is "settling" that occurs that may require a graft on the bridge. 

Improving the cosmetic appearance of the nose by making it a little smaller and refining its shape, yet having the result look natural, is a frequent request from patients seeking a rhinoplasty.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

You probably can have a more refined nose that is natural in appearance. I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.

Tip Refinement During a Rhinoplasty

Commonly patients undergo a rhinoplasty to narrow or define the tip.  The goal of a rhinoplasty is improve the nose without changing the character of it.  The nose can be wide or bulbous for a variety of different reasons:

1)  Thick skin
2)  Wide cartilages
3)  Mal-positioned cartilages
4)  Poorly shaped cartilages

During a consultation, I can get an idea of the cause of the bulbous tip and explain the methods to narrow it. Imaging morphing can be completed to help you and the doctor communicate what changes you are seeking.  

This type of rhinoplasty would be a tip rhinoplasty.  This type of rhinoplasty typically has the fastest recovery.  

Rhinoplasty candidate for tip refinement

Without pictures, it very difficult to give any opinion about your nose. The bulbous tip can be reduced and refined and the bridge can be narrowed as well.  It is impossible to give someone a  celebrity nose, so it's best to work with your own natural cartilage and bone to obtain the result you desire. Computer imaging may also help in the education process or what may be obtainable with your nose.  For more information about bulbous tip refinement, please see link below

Use computer imaging

It will be possible to replicate certain features of both of their noses. However it's important to remember that every nose is very unique. Therefore rhinoplasty surgeons are limited in what they can do based on  the underlying anatomy. One of the best tools that we have is computer imaging which can help show you realistic goals for your  particular nose.  

And yes it's possible to have a 'non-operated look', narrow your nose and a refine your nasal tip without rotating your tip upwards. 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations

It will require a consultation with a plastic surgeon to determine if a rhinoplasty is a surgical option for you.  Computer imaging is a great educational tool for understanding what can and can not be accopmplished surgicallly.  

While it is extremely important to share your views and likes and dislikes with your surgeon, you should know that a nose that may look great on another person's face may look unnatural on your face. We have developed scientific ways of matching the nose to the face to look pleasing without looking surgical or too up-tilted. It would be very important, considering your fears, to work with a surgeon who offer's morphing to make sure that your surgeon and you are on the same page, having an understanding that morphs and altered pictures are communication tools and the results cannot be guaranteed since as surgeons we do not control the healing and sometimes the healing can alter the shape of the nose slightly over time. Yes, each part of the nose can be changes while maintaining or safeguarding the other parts as long as the surgeon has experience and knows how to avoid or correct the unintended and undesirable consequences of each maneuver.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon