What should I do to get the best results for my double chin/neck? Had 2 consults with app. views & need further help. (photo)

I am a 30yo woman interested in doing something about extra fat/skin under my chin and neck. Although I am a bit above ideal weight (BMI of 25), even when I was a teen and physically fit I had this issue with my neck as do my mother and brother so I am assuming it's genetic and not solely weight based. I have been to 2 consults with plastic surgeons in different practices. The 1st Dr recommended Smart-Lipo to me while the 2nd Dr thought I was a perfect candidate for Ultherapy. Please help!

Smartlipo vs ultherapy

Thanks for your question. I use both devices in my practice. Ultherapy is more suited for loose skin below the chin. Smartlipo works best with fat deposits underneath the chin. I think smartl  is the procedure of choice to manage your chin/neck.  Good luck. 

Dr. Burnett 

What should I do to get the best results for my double chin/neck? Had 2 consults with app. views & need further help

Based on your photos, I think you are an excellent candidate for Smartlipo. It has predictable, reproducible results, whereas Ultherapy may or may not accomplish your desired result. Best of luck!

Best Results for Double Chin/Neck?

At risk of creating more confusion, I would suggest another procedure called Precision Tx. This is a sort of advanced form of Smart-Lipo that uses a special laser fiber which splits the laser beam to direct more energy to the undersurface of the skin which produces more skin tightening. It is a very effective treatment for your type of problem. Ulthera is a non-surgical treatment which uses ultrasound energy to indirectly heat the deep layer of the skin and thus produce skin tightening. The problem with ultherapy is that it does little to reduce the extra fat, and the results are somewhat unpredictable. Some patients will achieve noticeable results and others much less so. Treatment with Precision Tx is somewhat more invasive, but far more predictable. If you can find someone who has this technology in you area that is what I would recommend.

Chin Lipo vs Ultherapy: Tie Breaker?

Lipo is best for reducing fat. Ultherapy shrinks loose skin. If your skin isn't loose, lipo is the better choice. If it's loose, you still have fat underneath and might benefit more from lipo, but perhaps you should combine the two procedures.

What should I do?

I recommend slim lipo. It offers a fat melting and skin tightening duel diode laser and will likely give you a slimmer and more firm neck/neckline.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your pictures!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, KybellaI treat this everyday in my practice. You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer.