Has the hymen been broken or not? Is the hymen normal or microperforate? Do I need surgery? (Photo)

I have been having sex with my husband for a year now. But the hymen seems to be not broken. Is the hymen normal? Or microperforate? Do i need surgery to get it open?

Hymen: Status

Thank you for your question and photograph.  It is difficult to assess the status of your hymen based on one photograph.  However, based on you having intercourse, the status of your hymen does not appear of any significance.  However, if you are having difficulties with menstrual flow or other medical issues, then the status of the hymen is more of a medical issue.  I would recommend evaluation by a gynecologist to better determine the status of your hymen.  I hope that this explanation helped.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

You don't have a hymen problem unless you have a functional problem

Rarely the hymen is elastic and doesn't break with intercourse. If intercourse is not a problem nothing needs to be done. Enjoy yourself and move on. Hymen incision (hymenotomy) is done when sex is a problem or when the hymen has not opening and the menstrual flow cannot escape.