What are my options? Do I need a mommy makeover?

I had a consultation with a local doctor who practices plastic surgery, but was previously an ER doctor. He told me that my muscles in my stomach were separated and that my bowels are coming through and that the muscles need to be repaired. I have had three c-sections.

Doctor Answers 16

Mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess your situation in person and discuss the best options for your specific needs. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

What are my options? Do I need a mommy makeover?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The operation should be tailored to your specifications and anatomy to produce a dramatic result. Seek out a plastic surgeon who has performed these combination procedures hundreds of times and has a great number of reviews and before and after pictures.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Beverly Hills, CA

Mommy make-over by ER doctor?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

  • With all due respect to your doctor, I would consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • Emergency room doctors have no surgical training. They are not surgeons.
  • These are major operations and should be done by properly trained surgeons - if you need this done.
  • If you have had 3 C-sections, you may well have a diastasis - muscle separation.
  • If you have bowel under the skin, you have a ventral hernia.
  • Please do not let anyone except a trained surgeon operate on you.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds like you need a tummy tuck with a possible hernia repair.  This is complex surgery and in my opinion, an ER physician who practices cosmetic surgery should not be the one to perform this.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon who can better help you.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Mommy Makeover?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many talented board certified plastic surgeons in Charlotte and the southeast. Please seek their opinion.  

Mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
"mommy makeover " is a term used to describe procedures directed at reversing some changes to the female breast and abdomen due to pregnancy. The procedures need to be customized to each patient's goals and needs. I echo what has already been noted in almost every response. Seek our a board certified Plastic Surgeon!  

John S. Alspaugh, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The separation of the muscles of the abdomen are common in women after having children.  This is repaired at the time a tummy tuck is performed.  Before proceeding with your surgery, you may want to have other consultations.  You may find that liposuction will also be needed to obtain an ideal result.  Ask for before and after pictures and referrals to patients who can speak to you about their experience.  Best of luck.

What are my options? Do I need a mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A mommy makeover is a procedure that usually includes surgery of the breasts and of the abdomen in response to changes following childbirth. This could be breast augmentation with a tummy tuck or a breast lift with liposuction or a number of other combinations. If one is dealing only with the abdomen, it usually would be called a single surgery and could be an abdominoplasty or liposuction or other. There is complex decision-making and management with these type of procedures and one should seek a board-certified plastic surgeon. This should be the American Board of plastic surgery certificate. These are the highest trained individuals to deal with these issues.

Mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  In order to determine if you qualify for a mommy makeover, you need to be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

All the best,

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

What are my options? Do I need a mommy makeover?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
What you describe is a tummy tuck, not a mommy makeover which usually includes some work on the breasts as well as trunk area.
I would strongly suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon, not just someone who calls themselves a cosmetic surgeon. The experience and amount of training is vastly different. ER doctors are trained to take care of of minor surgical injuries, they are not trained to do surgery in their ER training.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.