What is the best option for getting rid of my Gynecomastia? (Photo)

I'm 30 yrs old 5'9 and around 240 lbs. I know I'm overweight and need to lose weight, but even when I was down to my lowest I still had a bit of gyne, so I need a light at the end of the tunnel for motivation. I'm now saving money for gyne surgery , but have no idea how much I need and what I'm in for. Is this fixable? Will I ever have a flat chest? What grade of Gynecomastia do I have? What kind of surgery should I expect to have? What should I expect to pay surgery wise? Thank You.

Gynecomastia treatment options

Gynecomastia can often be treated with liposuction alone.  Its ultimate results depends on the amount of skin retraction (shrinkage) you could get one the underlying fatty tissue is removed.  Sometimes additional skin needs to be removed to achieve the best nipple position and skin removal.  The length of these scars, and their visibility depend on how much excess skin there is.

Naturally, weight loss is your first best option, but not always easy considering the social pressures felt in the gym.  There are more options available, and best explored with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you determine the course of action that works best for you.

Your gynecomastia is asymmetric and severe .you need an experienced surgeon.

Your gynecomastia is asymmetric and severe .you definitely need a very experienced gynecomastia surgeon in order to get a significant improvement and a flater chest ,.Do not compromise,look carefully for the right surgeon because that is probably the most important choice you will make... Age is important because of skin elasticity,the younger the better. You need excision of the gland and liposuction,and you have to be realistic. Go to different surgeons web sites and look of their before and after photos,the more the better.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Treatment of Gynecomastia

The first thing you need to do is lose weight. After getting to your best weight, you will need a mastectomy, which is what you need presently. With weight loss, you will have even more loose skin than presently.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can certainly be very troubling and a source of feeling self conscious for many men.  Fortunately, surgery can provide significant improvements.  If you are planning on losing weight, it is more ideal to wait until you are close to your planned weight to proceed with surgery.  Very often, liposuction can correct the gynecomastia, but in some cases some skin needs to be removed as well.  It is best to go over all of that with your surgeon in person.  I would recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon. 
Take care,
Dr. Howell

Gynecomastia

To obtain the best possible result, I recommend that you lose the weight first, prior to surgery. I have had great success treating Gynecomastia with liposuction only. Sometimes excess skin needs to be trimmed, but not always. Plan on 1-2 weeks down time. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon when you are ready.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Best Options for Gynecomastia

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat #gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
Three options exist for surgery. Smaller procedures can actually be done in the office with light oral sedation. Adolescents frequently do better with a light general #anaesthetic.Twilight or IV sedation are another great choice. All procedures are outpatient either in the office or a certified outpatients surgery facility.

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. #Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

What to do

Despite being somewhat overweight, you do appear to have gynecomastia.

You gynecomastia seems to be a combination of an excessive fat distribution in your chest, excessive male breast glandular tissue and some skin laxity.

Even with aggressive liposuction treatment and possibly an open incision for possibly removing firm glandular tissue, you will still be left with some loose skin.

My suggestion is you talk to an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are.

The very best outcomes may come from a two-stage procedure dealing with breast glandular tissue first and loose skin second.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Gynecomastia Reduction after Weight Loss

Once you have reached a good weight for you, your gynecomastia can be treated by either liposuction or liposuction combined with an open excision. If there is a hard glandular mass under the nipples, an open excision will be needed to get the most breast tissue out.