Will nipple contraction/sensitivity return after Breast Augmentation?

I had a "purse string" lift/augmentation performed 3 1/2 months ago. I have no sensation/contraction in one nipple since surgery. Sensitivity I can live with, but the nipple looks awkward because it stays big and puffy while the other contracts, very embarrassing. What is the likelihood of contraction being restored?

Nipple healing

Breasts and nipples usually heal asymmetrically after surgery.  They should eventually even up.  However, it is possible for one side to have permanent nerve damage that will result in lack of feeling and contraction forever.  There is nothing you can do to improve it, but just wait it out and hopefully everything will get back to normal within 6 months.

New Bern Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about nipple sensitivity and projection

Hi, C1315.
Although it is rare to lose sensation on the nipple completely, it can happen.  Please allow at least one year for the sensation to come back.
In regards to nipple projection/shape, it may decrease over time.  However, it the purse string (circumareolar) lift was performed with permanent sutures, the nipple/areolar projection may not decrease.  
Please share your concern with your plastic surgeon.  Your plastic surgeon will be the best resource to answer your concerns.
Best regards.

Mastopexy wound closure

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, different surgeons will use different techniques to close the wounds. There is no one way to do it. There is no one right way to do it either.

The purses string stitch is typically a permanent stitch but does not have to be. It really depends on your situation. The pouching out that you notice may be permanent. As for retraction and sensitivity, only time will tell.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

One nipple not responding months after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and augmentation.

• Our two sides heal differently -
  • One side always heals faster.
  • The funny looking nipple is awkward to live with but for now, all you can do it wait.
  • Improvement from surgical healing takes a minimum of 6 months and often takes another 12-18 months to finish.
  • Let your surgeon know of your concerns and give it time.
  • Once you see some improvement, even a tiny bit, chances are that contraction will recover.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Nipple sensation post lift

This can occur and wound healing along with sensory return can take many many months or more than a year or two.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon