Can someone with malignant hyperthermia have a tummy tuck, muscle repair and breast lift with implants?

I'm looking into a mommy make over, I have malignant hyperthermia but I have been successfully put under twice before. Would this stop me from being able to have these surgeries?

You can successfully have the surgery, but you should only have it done in a hospital setting where they have all of the rescue medications necessary to treat malignant hyperthermia (MH). The most important factor is successfully caring for someone with MH is knowing beforehand that they have a history of having it. You should have a preoperative consultation with the anesthesiologist to review your history. There are certain anesthesia drugs that they will avoid using on you since they trigger MH, but there are other drugs that are just as effective that they can use for your anesthesia.Good luck.

Thank you for your question.  If you have been successfully placed under general anesthesia despite a malignant hyperthermia episode in the past then proper identification of the anesthetic agent that was used should be notated and used for your mommy makeover.  Because of the seriousness involved it would be wise to speak with your anesthesiologist long in advance of surgery to ensure your safety.  Hope this helps.

History of malignant hyperthermia

Not necessarily, but it is absolutely critical that your surgeon and anesthesiologist are aware of your medical history, feel comfortable taking care of you, and operate in a facility that is equipped to handle a malignant hyperthermia emergency.
It looks like you are already doing this, but it is worth emphasizing - make sure you are diligent with your research and process before having your mommy makeover.  Your health and safety are paramount.
Hope this helps, and take care, Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon