How long do I have to wait before I can go swimming after having dissolving vaginal stitches?

Swimming after Vaginoplasty

Thank you for your question. You should also avoid baths, swimming and hot tubs during your recovery period (about 6 weeks) Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Return to Swimming after Vaginal Surgery

Six weeks is the typical time frame for returning to activities such as swimming and sex after cosmetic vaginal surgery. Until that time, soaking the area will soften the tissues around the stitches and risk wound separation. Sitz baths (i.e. soaking your bottom in the tub for a while) are to be avoided also. Not only will they soften the skin unnecessarily, but they will dilate the blood vessels around the surgical site which is equally undesirable. Sitz baths are intended for the relief of pain and inflammation related to nonsurgical problems.

Swimming after Labiaplasty

To be on the safe side, wait 4-6 weeks after surgery as long as there are no open wounds.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Swimming after labiaplasty

In my practice, when I perform labiaplasty I keep people out of swimming pools and hot tubs a minimum of three weeks but it depends on how the individual heals. Because each person varies in exactly what procedure was performed and how they heal, this is a question best asked of your own surgeon. Please call his or her office for guidance. 

Melinda Haws, MD