How long should drain stay in?

I had surgery on dec 12,2014. I had tt. Love results. But my drain is clear no blood just drain fluid. I wear tight gar

How long should drain stay in?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Drainages has to be This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Drains after tummy tuck

Drains often create logistical and practical problems for patients. That is why we now offer a no-drain tummy tuck.  Consult with your surgeon about specifics of your drain. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Drains for Tummy Tuck/ Abdominopasty / Avelar procedure

Drains are routinely placed after "tummy tuck" procedures to prevent collections of fluid (seromas) and blood (hematomas).  Drains should not be left in for too long as they can lead to a wound infection.  Every cosmetic surgeon makes their decision to remove drain(s) based on their patient. Normally drains are removed when less than 30 ml (1 ounce) of fluid is drained off over a 24 hour period.  

A new advance in abdominoplasty / tummy tuck surgery is the Avelar adominoplasty for small-to-moderate cases.  The Avelar procedure produces an excellent result and does not usually require drains.  

Liposculpture and drains

Not every surgeon will recommend a drain. We usually remove a drain when the fluid accumulation has subsided. This is an individual choice by surgeons.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Drain management

BY two weeks, all of the drains are typically out.  If the design is very high the surgeon may be afraid that you will develop a serum if hey come out.  At this point they should come out because of the risk of infection.

Follow your surgeon's advice

As you have already heard, each surgeon is different.

There's a saying I learned during my surgical training: "No surgeon regrets having left a drain in."

My suggestion is continue to wear your compression garments. Also, keep your physical activity somewhat limited to allow tissues to stick together and heal up.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Extent of drain use

Usually when the drainage is clear and less than about a ounce a day.  Every surgeon is different.  Do not rush it however since if it is removed too early a seroma may result. 

Drain Removal

Every surgeon has his or her protocol concerning drains.  I take out drains once the drainage has reached 25 cc a day consistently.  That usually equates to 10-14 days.

Timing for drain removal

Not sure what procedure you had done. We typically remove drains when they are draining less than 30 cc (the equivalent of a shot glass) per 24 hours. The time frame for drain removal is variable from one patient to another and also depends on what was done surgically. Follow up with your surgeon--they will let you know when it is appropriate to have the drain removed.