Do I need a just a lift, or a lift with augmentation? (Photos)

I am 41 years old and breastfed 3 kids. I would like to have surgery to correct by sagging breasts and large areolas. I am currently a full 36 C and I am okay with the appearance of my breasts in a bra. Would I need a lift with augmentation, or could I get away with a lift alone? I would like to stay approximately the same size, but just want them back to where they used to be before I had children.

Lift or lift with augmentation?

First, let me warn you that, based on your pictures, anyone who would suggest to you that having implants alone will fix your problem will likely end up in a breast shape and size which will leave you very unhappy.  Since you are happy with the size of your breasts, a lift alone could be the appropriate answer, though your breasts will appear slightly smaller with a lift alone even though only skin is removed.  Adding implants will give you long-term volume at the upper part of your breasts, which is the most common reason why my patients elect to have implants along with the lift.  However, if you simply want less droopy, natural looking breasts which are approximately the same size, then a lift alone will like be sufficient and will avoid future operations related to implant placement.  A long discussion with your plastic surgeon about your goals and long-term desires will determine the appropriate course for you.  Best of luck!

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Lift vs implants

If you want your breast fuller and are happy with the shape of them, then an implant will be fine. Keep in mind an implant will only "fill our breast up" it will not "lift them up". They will look just like they do now, they are just bigger and fuller with an implant only. If you feel this will meet your goals, then an augmentation should be fine. If you are unhappy with the position of your breast and feel they are too low, then an implant will likely not satisfy you and you will want to consider the lift. A lift will "lift them up" and put them in a higher position, change the size of the areola and "lift" them off of your chest. Often times both of these procedures are combined to achieve an optimal result. By lifting them and adding volume, the breast will not only sit higher on your chest but will also have the nice fullness from the implant. In your case a breast lift with augmentation is likely going to give you the best result.  Dr Scott Ennis

•  Tweet

Lawrence Scott Ennis, MD, FACS
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Based off your pictures that you provided you will need a breast lift.

What are the basic tips to know if I need a breast augmentation or breast lift? It all depends on the position of the nipple on the breast. The further down the nipple is in relation to the fold the more the chances are the patient needs a lift.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast lift and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

You can probably achieve your goals with just a breast lift.

Since you are happy with the size of your breasts, a breast lift alone will probably be sufficient. A lift can also help to raise your nipples and reduce the size of your areolas. However, a breast lift alone will not increase fullness in the upper pole. If you want to increase volume in the upper portion of your breasts, you’ll need to include implants with your lift. It’s best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to help you determine the best procedure or combination of procedures that will get you where you’d like to be.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a just a lift, or a lift with augmentation?

Considering your satisfaction with appearance of your breast in a bra, the question is are you using a push up bra adding volume up above?  

A breast lift will nicely reduce the size of the areola, decrease the sagging  and decrease the sag.  It will not though add volume up above.  

If it's the push up appearance as well as volume that you like with a bra, then consider a small implant to give you that superior poll volume. The best type of lift is a vertical lift, it give better shape and considerably less scar.  The vertical lift does remove some tissue, although less than a cup in size.  This will partly offset a small implant. On the other hand if you don't desire an implant, with this technique you would have to accept being a little smaller.  

These are the considerations that should be part of your decision making process. Of course an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is your best way to get the information tailored to you.  I hope you find this information helpful.

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery

It is difficult to determine exactly what is needed without seeing you in person. From the photos you provided, and since you said you’d like to stay approximately the same size, you would not need a breast augmentation in addition to a lift. An augmentation would only be recommended if you wanted to increase the volume. I recommend seeing a specialist plastic surgeon to set up a consultation.

Edmund Ek, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with or without an implant

Thank you for your question.  It is your decision to get an implant or not to get one, it depends on size you want your breasts to be after surgery.  A breast lit will lift and tighten the breast which will make the breast seem a little smaller.  If you do not want to be smaller then you would benefit from getting an implant. Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss your concerns.  Best Wishes.  

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS, MBA
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Lift alone or with implants

From your photos, it would appear that you could achieve a good cosmetic result with a lift alone. If you are happy with the size of your breasts, and not desiring alot of fullness in the top of the breast out of a bra, this may be ideal for you. Many women want more fullness at the top than can be achieved with a lift alone, requiring placement of at least a small implant. Should you do a lift alone, and decide you want more fullness, implants can be placed at a later date and still achieve excellant results. Discuss your goals thoroughly with your surgeon, and he will help you make the correct choice.

James H. Rogers, MD
Ocala Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Hello. A breast lift with small implants would be your best option for restoring a youthful appearance to your breasts. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation alone will not work

You are a candidate for either a bilateral breast lift period or a lift plus augmentation.   A pure augmentation will not work for you.   If you want to be bigger and lifted do the lift-aug.   My Best,  Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon