What type of laser is best for hair removal on Indian skin-medium color?

Are places like Ideal Image, Sona Med Spa good places to go?

Laser for Indian skin tones

Nd-Yag, Diode, or Alexandrite lasers can be uses for Indian skin of medium color. I recommend that you consult a board-certified dermatologist and ensure they are overseeing the parameters used for your treatments. I have been consulted by many patinets -- and their attorneys-- regarding burns sustained after treatment at a spa or without proper supervision, especially for people with your skin type. Even worse, perhaps, is the vast number of clients who are under-treated, to prevent side effects, and become caught in a cycle of never-ending treatments rather than permanent removal.

If you are interested, see my website laser hair removal page below for a more detailed explanation.

Laser Hair Removal -- Seek an Expert For Dark Skin

Laser hair removal should be performed by a board certified dermatologist. Do not risk expertise and experience for cost or location. Please consult with a laser expert who uses diode or YAG lasers. Best, Dr. Emer

Best Type of laser for ethnic skin

There are two lasers which are safe for ethnic skin.  In my opinion, the safest is a YAG laser which has the least risk of pigmentation and burns but a shorter wavelength laser such as a diode laser can also be utilized with care.  The lasers I would probably avoid are the alexandrite and IPL (not actually a laser) as the risk is higher with these lasers.

It is important to go to a well experienced provider as treatment does carry some risk. And it is important that a provider can also treat complications as well as being able to provider the treatment.  In addition, ethnic skin is more challenging and therefore seek consultation and a treatment with a well established place and experienced providers.  Be wary of places that use technicians as opposed to medical providers as they may not have the experience necessary to treat your skin type

All the best

Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Indian skin needs Nd:Yag 1064nm for LHR

Indian skin or skin that tends to tan easily and rarely burns, usually requires using the Nd:Yag 1064nm wavelength for hair removal. The other important point is the people who have dense hair (like Indian people) require a good amount of cooling of the skin to avoid burns or severe edema of the follicles. This improves as the hair becomes less dense. Good luck! You will just want to make sure they have this wavelength and experience with your skin type. 

Laser hair removal for medium color skin tones

A diode laser can be an effective way to reduce hair on the legs.  It is important to choose a laser that minimizes the risk of post-laser hypopigmentation, which is more of a risk with darker skin tones.  There are lasers now available that are safe for patients with Fitpatrick 4-6 skin types, such as the Infinity Light Sheer.  It is very effective, and is much less painful than older generations of laser hair removal devices.  I would recommend that you do your homework before going to a med spa, and ask for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.   

Cindy Wu, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon