Would insurance cover Rhinoplasty in this situation?

My nose has doubled in size due to a pituitary tumor secreting the growth horomone. I have acromegaly. Would insurance cover rhinoplasty in that situation?

Insurance coverage of rhinoplasty

This is greatly dependent on the specific insurance plans. Although most insurance plans do cover rhinoplasty if performed for functional reasons, some insurance plans categorically exclude rhinoplasty regardless of the indication. Insurances typically cover a rhinoplasty operation only in cases of nasal obstruction secondary to nasal valve collapse, and not due to septal deviation or inferior turbinate hypertrophy. Furthermore, a rhinoplasty operation (by definition) alters the shape of the nose and there is often a cosmetic fee associated with the operation (in addition for insurance coverage) for those portions that are unrelated to nasal valve repair. I suggest you see a rhinoplasty expert who accepts your insurance for a detailed exam and to inquire about candidacy and possible insurance participation in covering the cost of the operation.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thanks for the question.Send your photos to tell you what type of procedures you need.Kind regards, DR. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Will Insurance Cover My Rhinoplasty?

I am asked this very thing on a daily basis. Our staff always helps my patients correspond with their insurance companies to answer this question. With your condition I think you have an excellent chance of getting your insurance to pay for at least some of your surgery.

Nose

chcain, you may have some luck if you go to CEENTA here in Charlotte and see one of their ENT docs that does some rhinoplasty. I know in my office I could not do this as I do not participate with any insurance companies. Who knows if they will cover it; you'll have to go through the motions and hope for the best. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Easy answer, maybe. See a board certified plastic surgeon, be evaluated and submit the request to your insurance company. It sounds reasonable, but your policy will determine if its covered. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon