Why do some implants result with defined upper pole roundness and others do not? (Photo)

I've noticed that some girls have results of very contoured upper pole roundness with lower cc amounts and others have a gradual slope with no definition even with a large implant . Is this as a result of implant profile, technique, or how close implant diameter is to bwd? Is it the closer or over the measurement of implant to bwd the more defined upper roundness? Photo below of someone with defined upper pole roundness and one with just cleavage Incase my terminology is wrong. Thank you

Upper pole fullness

Thank you for your question and photos.  The degree of upper pole fullness achieved depends on several factors.  The person's anatomy, implant size and profile, pre-existing breast tissue, and exact procedure/technique performed are just some of the contributing factors.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Why do some implants result with defined upper pole roundness and others do not

all of the reasons you cited contribute, as well as the type of support bra, the amount of body fat, stretchability of the skin, as well as implant location

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast implant results have many factors, one of which is the starting shape/size of the breast.

the same size/profile implant does not give the same result on every patient.  many factors go into how the breast will appear after breast augmentation - one of which is the starting shape/size of a patient's breast.  if you are considering breast augmentation, it is best to consult with board certified plastic surgeons and review your specific goal and starting place - so that a plan can be made to help you achieve your desired look.  good luck!

All bets are off with photos in clothing

Dear Summergirl,
You've already heard about all of the different factors that effect implant appearance.  The one that I did not read below is the effect of clothing.  The two photos that you have sent depict two completely different garments, each with a different effect on breast appearance.  This is one of my pet peeves when patients bring photos to the office.  All bets are off when clothing is on in a photo.  All bets are also off on professionally done magazine photos.  They are ALL retouched and do not reflect the actual appearance of face, body or breast.  Good luck!

Upper pole appearance

There are many factors that contribute to the look of the upper pole. Anatomy of the individual plays into it a lot.

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. There are many factors that determine the results after Breast Augmentation including your anatomy and implant size.  Most likely a board certified plastic surgeon can help you achieve the look you want with a breast augmentation.  Good Luck with your surgery. 

Why do some implants result with defined upper pole roundness and others do not?

There are many factors that determine the final shape of your breast. The majority of these factors have to do with differences in anatomy more than differences in the implants. I would suggest that you consult with surgeons in your area and bring pictures of your desired result so that the surgeon can advise you whether that is possible or not.

Cleavage after BA

Thanks for your question. There are many factors that figure into the final result after breast augmentation. Much of it has to do w/ your anatomy, and then from there, implant choices, implant position (above/below muscle), and surgical technique add to that variability. Generally, the round implants above the muscle tend to give the most fullness and the most cleavage, but sometimes produces too much of that, creating an unnatural look. I would discuss each of these w/ your surgeon. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

You forgot to add the breast/chest wall anatomy as the most important factor.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upper pole definition and breast implants

That's a great question.  There are many ways to control what type of upper pole definition you obtain.  That should be based on an informed conversation with your plastic surgeon that takes into account your own personal desires and the specific dimensions of your body.

One Reason for differences in upper pole fullness is the characteristic of the implant itself.  A high profile implant will have more upper pole fullness for a given base diameter than a low profile implant.  Saline implants tend to have more upper pole fullness.  As the breast tissue pushes down on the implant, it displaces the saline upward.  Having your implants placed over the muscle will also give you more upper pole fullness as the muscle is out of the picture.  However, an  implant placed over the muscle has an increased rate of capsular contracture.  There is a new line of silicone gel implants from Allergan called  Inspira that is slightly over filled with gel that provides more upper pole fullness.

Another reason for differences in upper pole fullness can be the thickness of fat and muscle of the upper breast prior to the operation.  

The simplest reason can be a difference in the bra that a woman wears.  Some bras push the breast upward and together which drives tissue to the upper pole.

A board certified plastic surgeon will be able to guide you through all of your choices and by using biodimensuonal planing will be able to customize a unique plan that is just right for you.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon