I just got a tummy tuck and now my husband wants another baby. Is it safe for me to get pregnant after having a tummy tuck?

We made the decision to not have anymore kids before I got the tummy tuck... However, he just told me this morning that he wanted one more child... So we just decided to have one more today... I'm also hoping if it is safe I would like to have another tummy tuck after my last pregnancy??? Is it possible??? (I'm only 6 weeks post op)

Is it safe for me to get pregnant after having a tummy tuck?

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps.

Pregnancy post TT

Yes it is safe to have children after having a tummy tuck. Your cosmetic results may be compromised however which might require a revision in order to have the same results... Best of luck...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Childbirth post TT

Rest assured that it is fine to have another baby after your tummy tuck.there is no reason you can not have another bay.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

Its safe to get pregnant after tummy tuck but i suggest to wait until the healing process finish because you only have six weeks post op where your abdomen still with swelling. 
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Baby after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. This scenario came up in my practice not too long a go.  At her 3 month post op visit, the woman told me she was pregnant. She went on to have an uneventful pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby. She came by the office throughout her pregnancy to let me know how she was doing.  I did notice that she did not get as big at the end of the pregnancy, perhaps from the muscle tightening of the abdominoplasty. The baby was of good size 7.5 lbs or so. 
Your body will accommodate the growing baby after the tummy tuck. As you know, with every pregnancy the body changes. After the birth, give your body some time to recover. Then, if you're absolutely sure about not having any more kids, and if you feel it necessary, you can consider a tummy tuck.

Congratulations, and Best Wishes,

J. Michael Morrissey, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

It is absolutely safe to have another child after a tummy tuck. If your skin or muscles loosen somewhat, you may benefit from a touch up surgery after your body recovers from the new baby but often this is not necessary. Good luck with everything!

Baby after tummy tuck

You should be able to have a baby after a tummy tuck. You may require a future to procedure to get the contour back that you desire but your body should have no trouble accommodating a new baby! Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon