My breasts are uneven after breast reduction. Is this normal? (Photo)

4 months ago I had a reduction and went from a DDD to a C when I took the bandages off for the first time I noticed that the left was larger than the right. I asked my surgeon at 6 weeks of this was normal and he said yes. Now I take weekly pictures and it seems to be getting worse.

No such thing as perfectly symmetrical breasts.

I always encourage women to keep in mind that no two breasts will be perfectly symmetrical, before or after breast surgery. If you approach a breast reduction in hopes that your breasts will be identical, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. When asymmetry is a concern, your goal should be improvement, not perfection. As difficult as it may be, give your breasts a full year after your breast reduction before deciding to have revision surgery. Sometimes it can take that long for the final results to really be seen, and it’s possibly you’ll be satisfied with the appearance of your breasts at the one-year mark. If you’re still unsatisfied after a year, visit your plastic surgeon to explore surgical options to give you more improvement. Best of luck to you.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Size

Asymmetry preop will always lead to some degree of asymmetry postop. You have asymmetry postop but saying that it is still early postop and a lot of swelling will settle and improve and there is no doubt that you things will change over the coming months. Keep in touch with your PS - it is often good to run through the pre and postop images with your PS. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and changes

The breasts can undergo  a lot of changes during the first few months, and they can settle at different rates. I would give them 4-6 months to settle and then -re-evaluate.

My breasts are uneven after breast reduction. Is this normal?

Congratulations on having undergone breast reduction procedure. Some degree of breast asymmetry is expected naturally and after breast reduction surgery. If, in the longer term, your breast symmetry remains of concern, it is likely that your plastic surgeon will be able to improve your symmetry with additional surgery.  In my practice, I ask patients to exercise patience and evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed roughly one year after it was done. Best wishes for outcome that you will be pleased with long-term

Thank you for your question.  When talking about asymmetry, it's important to realize your pre-surgical asymmetry.  Although asymmetry can be improved with surgery, it's not completely corrected, as no 2 breasts are exactly alike.  Be sure to discuss any new changes or concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Modest asymmetry is expected after breast reduction.

Certainly in the short term asymmetry is the rule rather than the exception. Generally this improves with time. However it's a bit much to expect perfect symmetry even after healing is complete.