How would you handle a situation where a patient was given incorrect info about a procedure by a partner doctor?

I got my breast augmentation done in march of 2013. I was prepared to pay whatever the price was for silicone or saline implants, but my doctor told me that I would get the same results and they would look the same with either saline or silicone. I am 3.5 years post-op and have been EXTREMELY unhappy for the last 2 years. I saw a different doctor in the same practice today who agreed that I was fed false info by the first doc. How should this be fixed financially? Thanks!

Difficult situation for the patient and the Doctor

Rest assured, your plastic surgeon wants you to be happy with the results of the procedure.  If you are uncomfortable talking with him/her, talk to his nurse or PA instead and voice your concerns.  Perhaps you can work out a compromise that will make everyone happy.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

You weren't necessarily given false information, you were given an opinion and you accepted it. Had you obtained 2-3 consultations you may have been given a different opinion. I suspect "fixing it is financially" is up to you in this case. But it never hurts to see the first doctor and express your feelings and see what he says. Had you come back within a few months of the surgery and expressed displeasure with the results he may have worked with you. But after over 3 years I sort of doubt that will be the case. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Dissatisfaction

This can only be resolved in a meeting with you and the two other doctors involved.  Try to have an appointment with everyone present to avoid the "he said she said "scenario.  Most practices have a policy for patients who are dissatisfied to get revision surgery at reduced or special pricing.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and experience, and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  Since both surgeons are in the same practice I would have a meeting with the two physicians to review your original consultation desires.  After evaluating your current results a discussion can be had as to revision options to help reach your goals.  Financially this can be addressed at that time as each practice will handle this situation differently based on additional information. 

Financial policy regarding revisionary breast surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  It is difficult to comment specifically without viewing photographs or in person physical examination.  Keep in mind, the plastic surgeons may have different opinions regarding the same "clinical situation";  although the opinions may be different, one is not necessarily right or wrong.

Policy regarding coverage of expenses for revisionary surgery will vary from office to office and probably on a case-by-case basis as well. Costs of revisionary surgery may range from zero, to anesthesia/surgery center fees, to discounted surgeon's fees.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing elective surgery should understand that complications may arise and that additional expenses (even if the plastic surgeon does not charge for his/her services) may be patient responsibility.   

Also generally speaking, I suggest that patients communicate their concerns in a calm/constructive fashion. Avoidance of inflammatory terms (such as "botched") and/or "blame"  is helpful when it comes to maintaining respectful physician/patient relationship and communication.

Best wishes; again hopefully through courteous/respectful communication you and your plastic surgeon will be able to work out a plan to improve your outcome.