Where to fill: cheeks to lift nasolabial folds or just nasolabial folds? (Photos)

I'm 25 have a nasolabial folds that are starting to bother me. I'm not sure if getting filler in the nasolabial area would be fine or I should go with my cheeks. I feel like my face has started to look like it is sagging.

Doctor Answers 3

Location, Location, Location!!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

So this question astutely recognizes that regions of the face "play together." The diagonal line that is created between the outer nostril, running to the corner of the mouth (nasal labial fold), can be influenced by the cheek.  Indeed, if the patterns of volume loss in one's cheek occurs just so, the resulting fall of the lower face can accentuate the nasal labial fold, among other things.  In this case, I would inject both areas.  Your pictures indicate the need to replenish volume in the cheeks and to soften the contour of the nasal labial fold.  The caveat here, though, is where n the cheek to inject (blush line versus apple), and where along the nasal labial fold to place the filler in order to soften the look.  In my opinion, it is not necessary to totally efface the nasal labial fold as this can look unnatural.  The decision on placing the filler in the cheek is best made live and in person, as static photos, though helpful, do not convey the dynamic needs of your face.  

Vancouver Physician

Start with Cheek Filling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear KC3550:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend filling of your cheeks initially with a filler like Voluma which can sometimes lift and soften your nasolabial folds; and re-assess your nasolabial folds on 2 week follow up.  All the best.

Where to fill: cheeks to lift nasolabial folds or just nasolabial folds?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for facial rejuvenation with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. In particular, I think you would benefit from a small amount of Voluma in your cheeks. Voluma is a thicker HA filler that is meant to be placed deep so as to provide structure and lift. Once the Voluma is in place, you may also decide to have some filler placed in your tear troughs, so as to produce a more rested look. I tend to favor Volbella or Restylane in this area, as they attract less water than some other fillers, yet it is hearty enough to provide lasting results. You also may benefit from some filler placed around the mouth, but these lines may soften to your liking with the Voluma alone. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.