Extended Tummy Tuck after 4 months; what do I do? (Photos)

My surgeon recommended extended tummy tuck, and I am so disappointed after 4 months. I have worn compression garment everyday since the surgery and still no hope for hour glass figure. Why do I look like this at 4 months and one side bigger than the other. I followed all of his recommendations, which was to loose 5 to 10 pounds and I will have a flat stomach. Pre-op was 141 and now 125 and only 5'2'. How much more weight do I have to loose to see positive results. I'm in tears, please help!!!

Thanks for your question and photos.  It looks like there is room for improvement with your results.  All surgeons have patients that we wish had a better outcome.  If you were my patient, I would definitely plan on doing some sort of revision at six months.  If your surgeon doesn't feel he/she can improve your results, I suggest you meet with a reputable board certified Plastic Surgeon  for a second opinion.  Best of luck!

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lots of improvement

I'm sorry you're so disappointed but I see a lot of improvement in your pics. To be honest, it sounds like the problem was being overpromised a result or, perhaps, your having unrealistic expectations for the procedure. Your anatomy doesn't lend itself to an hourglass figure - you're simply not built like that. Yes, lipo can improve what you have and a revision of your scar will make you more symmetric but, I'd hate to have you go into another surgery without understanding what you can expect postop. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision

I am sorry to hear about your tummy tuck results.  I can imagine how this would be a difficult thing to go through.  There are some aspects of your tummy tuck that can be fixed.  Particularly liposuction of the abdomen, sides, and lower back.  This will help narrow and flatten your waist and give you a more feminine waistline.  The location of the scars is a bit more challenging.  Scar revision and treatment with Embrace scar therapy may be a good option.

Good luck with the rest of your tummy tuck contouring journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

After reviewing your before and after pictures and reading your comments here is what i think: the scars in the front should get better with time , if they do not then I recommend to wait till it is about a year, then i think you will need some revision of the scars and depending on the muscle status either revision of the rectus imbrication or some liposuction with some fat grafting to improve your contour. Be patient and try to build abdominal muscles and specially oblique muscles to help with your waist line.

Abdalla Bandak, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Result after TT

You can definitely be improved with additional liposuction and possibly skin excision. Your scars are high but should relax over time and may be able to be lowered. For now, keep your weight down, resume an exercise program, give yourself a full year to recover and reevaluate for revision. Best wishes and hang in there!

Results 4 Months Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Tummy tuck changes

Based on your before and after photos, there is quite a bit of change with a much smaller abdominal contour.  I would anticipate improvement at this stage compared to a few months ago.  There still does seem to be some swelling in the upper part of the abdomen and this should continue to decrease over the next few months.  Make sure you are staying in contact with your surgeon to follow your progress and address any issues that arise in the future.

John McFate, MD