Ethnic Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I feel my nose is too big/wide for my face. I don't like the way it spreads when I smile. I know spreading is inevitable. I'd like a straighter nose w/ smaller nostrils. I don't like the bumps/what looks like raised bone under my skin on the sides of my nose or the bulbous tip.. I'd prefer it have a slight point or just smaller at the tip all around w/ a straight bridge.. I'm going to post pictures of my nose, also pictures of my dream nose.. Realistically would this be possible??

Thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty, or nasal contouring, is done not only for appearance but also to improve breathing. Your cosmetic desires could be achieved for aesthetic purposes through a rhinoplasty. Your surgeon will pay attention to your breathing ways as well as the nose's fit with your natural characteristics. I suggest that you move forward to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photos and the pictures you have sent it is realistic to improve the shape of your nose. For an ethnic rhinoplasty the thick nasal skin would need to be thinned. Cartlidge would then be used to better define your nasal dorsum and tip. Finally excision of tissue around the nostril rim will narrow the nose. 

Best wishes 

Theodore T Nyame 

Harvard trained plastic surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Open rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

African American Rhinoplasty

Its possible to make changes with reasonable expecations. The best way to visualize potential results from a rhinoplasty is get computer imaging performed by several surgeons that perform African American Rhinoplasty. You should also look at the surgeons and before and afters and try to find one that has results you really like. Its imperitive to find a good surgeon that does African American rhinoplasty routinely as this will avoid revision surgery in the future.

Best ,

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

You can get your "dream nose"

You have beautiful features.  Your heart-shaped face, high and full cheek bones, and almond-shaped eyes are fabulous.  The top of your nose is narrow and straight but does widen towards the base.  Depending on the size of your nasal bone, you may need a graft along the top of your nose. The middle and base will need to be narrowed.  With the nasal cartilage we can trim, reposition and use sutures to shape.  The skin on either side of the nostril will need to be reduced by direct excision.  Remember, after rhinoplasty, it may take a full year to see your final results, but you will definitely appreciate the narrowed look post-operatively.  Good luck with your procedure!

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Rhinoplasty Goals Achievable? Yes

Thanks for your thoughtful post and photos. You have accurately described your concerns and nicely discussed your goals for improving your nasal appearance. In my view, your goals are achievable via an open approach rhinoplasty with cartilage grafts and alar base reduction. Consult with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon for recommendations and computer imaging studies. By discussing and refining your goals, I am sure that an appropriate rhinoplasty plan could help you enhance your nasal appearance. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Dear danisimone,

Thank you for your pictures. You can achieve more tip definition and a overall smaller nose with a rhinoplasty. The biggest challenge is thick skin which can  prevent more defined changes. I believe your desires are achievable. I recommend an in office consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon where you can do computer imaging so you can best communicate your expectations.  Best of luck!

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

A reduction of your tip bulbosity with the use of a tip graft and reduction of the nasal bridge width and alar base width would be recommended for your rhinoplasty.  I believe your desires are achievable by a rhinoplasty.  Best wishes, Dr. T.