Can a donut lift make my breast look better? (Photos)

I had my surgery performed 6 month ago, my doctor did 375 cc implants and donut lift . Looking at my breast I can not see much of the lift! After speaking with my doctor,he said that there is nothing he can do. I am very sad knowing that I paid for the extra procedure that had minimal outcome. So the question remains is that the best it can look or can another donut lift make it better! Thank you p.s this is a repeat question because I was asked for more pics!

Repeat donut lift

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your donut lift result.    It appears that you have thin skin that is going to be prone to stretching out over time.   Hence the reason you went in for consult initially.   Unfortunately, minimal lifts in women with thin skin tend to produce little to no results.    If you are interested in proceeding with a revision of your lift,  I would recommend removal of more skin from your lower pole (half) of your breast by using a lollipop or circumvertical lift pattern.  I know that this will result in a vertical scar, but the shape, contour, and symmetry will be much improved and have a better chance of lasting longer.    If this is not in the picture, then I would recommend not performing any revision.   A repeat donut breast lift is likely to produce a similar result 6 months down the road.   All the best.

Doughnut Lift.

Thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed.

The doughnut, or periareolar lift is a small tightening of the breast tissue when an implant alone may need a little help in filling out the loose skin.

You have nice volume, projection and still a bit of laxity which is giving you a very natural result. The lift could be converted to a full lift, but even then you would likely take on some laxity over time.

Often patients expect what I call the " gravity defying breast" . This breast is generally achieved in a slender pre partum patient with minimal breast tissue who is now  "all Implant"-- there is nothing to droop.

With your starting laxity there  will likely always be some laxity, which in my opinion looks more natural. I think your PS did a nice job, but you may have not been on the same page regarding expectations.

Best wishes

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Donut lift

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. The "donut" incision is used to achieve a limited lift. The success of the doughnut mastopexy is dependent upon appropriate patient selection.When sag is minimal, the procedure is less invasive and wounds heal nicely with minimal scarring.Unfortunately, the procedure is often utilized when moderate amounts of breast sag are present.This results in tension on the wound closure which can cause spread of scars and flattening of the areola complex.

With appropriate patient selection, the results of doughnut mastopexy can be excellent and are associated with high levels of patient satisfaction.In select cases, the doughnut mastopexy may be the treatment of choice for another type of lift.

Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about concerns and your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift

Sorry to hear about your experience.  A donut lift has many limitations and has an increased risk for breast flattening and spreading of the areola.  In this situation,  a lollipop (vertical) lift would be a better option.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Limitations of this type of breast lift

I don't feel another donut type lift is needed nor will make much of a difference. Your nipple appears to be in a fairly good position currently. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for determine if this is the case, but I would be careful about having another procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Donut lift

The donut lift that you had gave a decent shape and moved your nipples up a bit.  Unless you want a revision of the areola I would leave them alone. 

A Preference for the Donut Lift

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Donut lift

Out of the three types of lifts performed, the donut lift is the most minimal. It usually just puts the areola/nipple in a better location, it does not lift the actual breast much. Your photos actually show a very nice result. If what you are desiring is for your breasts to be up in a higher position with no "hang", then a more extensive lift is required, which in turn leaves you with more scars. Expectations should be given by the surgeon ahead of time so the patient understands what lift will give them the look they desire, but it is a tradeoff, a higher/perkier breast vs. more scars.

BTW...if your scar bothers you, a good 3D tattoo artist can blend your scar to match the color of your areola!

Clayton L. Moliver, MD