Couple questions about breast lift surgery. Any suggestions?

Hello! I am 18 and have recently lost about 40 lbs and I have more weight to go. By the time i lose all the weight i want to it will be VERY apparent. I have not been to any consultations yet. I am planning on having surgery sometime this year. Any answers are very helpful! After your first consult and choosing a doctor how soon does the surgery happen? Can i choose my doctor and have the surgery that week? How many weeks post op would you recommend not to travel?

#weightloss #plasticsurgery #bodycontouring

Hello 2kittygirls, Congratulations on your weight loss! We strongly encourage you to seek the advice of a plastic surgeon with these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of
Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle.  At our office here at CARE, we're very pleased to offer multiple financing options including CARE Credit and Alphaeon Credit. is also an excellent resource to view average pricing by geographic locale. I hope this information is helpful and I wish you all the best in your plastic surgery journey. Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. Kind regards, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS     CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after massive weight loss

congrats on the weight loss! You will have lots of options and decisions to make. Key factors are the degree of droop and whether or not you need added volume with fat or implants to get the look you desire. Multiple lifts exist and choosing the correct one will depend on your anatomy and your surgeon. Timing of surgery is variable in offices after consult but can be anywhere from 1- several weeks. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Each surgeon's schedule is a bit different.  You need to ask the surgeon you want to perform your surgery what time frame is available to schedule the surgery. Traveling suggestions also varies from surgeon to surgeon.

During a breast augmentation consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant. From there, the decision on size, shape, and position of these implants is based on the patient’s anatomy, the type and size of the implant, patient preference, and the goals of surgery. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional computer simulations can help guide your implant choices.

You want to allow time to interview a few American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeons to discuss a surgical approach and pick an appropriate size for you. This process can take some time. Starting the process a few months before you intend to have surgery will give you time to sort through all the information and make a decision that is comfortable for you. 

See the link below for pricing and more info.

That being said, most patients book their surgery the day of their consultation. Scheduling a date for surgery is dependent on multiple variables but in the right circumstances can be done the same week as the consultation. There is no specific restriction on traveling after surgery; however, 1 week is the common recommendation.

Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Any suggestions

Good job on the weight loss. It will have more than cosmetic benefits. The effects good effect on your blood pressure and possible future diabetes associated with extra weight will be important. Get several consultations from board certified Plastic Surgeons when you get to your goal weight. The solutions depend on what your goals are in terms of size and then do you need a lift. These procedures are done very frequently so you can have confidence that a good solution/outcome is common. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are already on your way to reaching your ideal weight which is an important step before having breast surgery. An in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to help you choose the right physician for you. I recommend starting your consultations earlier rather than later. Choosing a surgeon takes time and having plastic surgery is not something you want to rush into. You want to opt for a surgeon you feel comfortable with and trust to give you the result you are looking for. Once you have your pre-operative testing to ensure you are in good health for surgery, you can then discuss surgical dates but having the consultation and the surgery the same weeks is likely not possible. Generally patients can travel 2-3 weeks post operatively however post operative visits with your physician will determine how your healing process is going and this time frame may vary. Hope this helps, best of luck. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss, you should be proud! I recommend getting as close as possible to your goal weight before consulting with a plastic surgeon. This will give your surgeon a better idea as to what procedure you need. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast Lift Timing

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It's never too early to start having consultations.  The doctors will talk with you about the optimal timing for the surgery, and continue to follow you until that time.  It's best to start talking about timing in advance so that both you and your doctor can prepare adequately for it (plus, your doctor may not have any time available when you want it if you wait too long).  Typically for breast surgery I recommend patients wait 1 week before traveling, but every doctor is different, so I would ask the opinion of your surgeon.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.   Congratulations on your weight loss success.  I recommend scheduling consultations early so that you can find a surgeon you like and then scheduling your surgery will be easier.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift

This really varies depending on the practice. If it is a very busy practice then you will most likely be scheduled out a few months for your surgery but if it is a smaller practice that isn’t as busy then you may be able to get your surgery scheduled sooner. A week is really too soon to have your surgery scheduled after your initial consultation because you will need to have labwork done and possibly an EKG and CXR done then a clearance from your medical doctor for surgery. In regards to travelling, I do not recommend driving while you are still on your pain medications, so if you have stopped taking those you can usually resume driving after a couple days if you are comfortable to. If you are speaking in terms of flying, then I would suggest waiting at least a week to make sure no complications arise and you can return home safely. It is best to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss these questions with them. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon