How close to my goal weight should I be before I have a consult with a surgeon?

Within 20 pounds

Within 20 pounds.  If you lose more than that after your consultation, the areas of concern may change significantly and will potentially result in changes to the surgical plan.

Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Best to Reach Goal Weight Before Surgery

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

One candidate category includes patients who have had weight loss, again, through either diet or surgical procedure. And a lot of women, when they lose weight, their breasts will lose weight, and they, again, may have some sagging of their breasts. You should know that being at your final goal weight for consultation may not be completely necessary, but it is always best to be close to goal weight before going into surgery. Since additional weight loss after surgery has the risk of providing additional sagging it would make it difficult to reach your desired results from the breast lift procedure. Good luck.

Before undergoing any elective surgery, you want to be at a healthy weight that you will be able to maintain after surgery. That being said, most surgeons will require a BMI of under 30 in order to proceed with surgery. You want to be as close to your goal weight as possible in order to get the tightest and best results from your surgery. Losing weight post surgery runs the risk of leaving loose skin. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

I think the you will receive the best diagnosis and treatment recommendations once you are as close as possible to your long-term stable weight; a weight that you plan to maintain long-term.  Key will be careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals. Best wishes.

Goal weight and breast lift

It is a good idea to be close to your goal weight before undergoing a breast lift. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

You can consult at any time with a plastic surgeon.  It is recommended that you are at a stable long term weight prior to an body contouring.  Good luck.

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question !! The purpose of a breast lift is to correct sagging, drooping breasts. The surgery can be performed with or without an augmentation.

To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift.

Of all the cosmetic procedures performed, breast lift surgery is the hardest to master! Therefore, I would strongly recommend seeing a board certified, plastic surgeon who is very experienced with this procedure.

A change in your body weight may very well impact a change in your breast volume. Weight loss, depending on the amount, may cause the breasts to sag again, so I suggest to reach you weight goals before you decide to have a breast lift

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift: How close to my weight goal should I be?

If you have a consultation exam, choose your implant size, and then have a 10% or more change in your body weight, it is possible that your breast volume and the measurements of your frame will change. So the implants you choose before the weight change may not be what best suits you after. It's probably better to wait until you've reached your goal weight before you have a consultation in order to make sure you goals and expectations are realistic. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

When to have your consult when you are still losing weight

In an ideal world most plastic surgeons will recommend that you are within 10-15 lbs of a REALISTICALLY STABLE WEIGHT when you have an elective cosmetic procedure. However I don't think you need to be at or even near your goal weight to go see a plastic surgeon and discuss your weight loss journey and what procedures you are considering once you lose the weight. I actually like to see people during their weight loss journey and help them formulate a plan. Sometimes the plan has to be altered based on how much weight you actually end up losing but an experienced plastic surgeon should be able to still give you a reasonable recommendation on what procedures may be required after further weight loss. I think it is reasonable to get a  consultation once you are on a successful diet and exercise regimen that seems to be getting results. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

It would be best if you were in 10-15 lbs of your goal weight prior to elective surgery.