Will getting another chin implant improve my prune chin?

3 years ago I had small chin implant in for 3 weeks. It wasn't positioned correctly and I hated the way it felt so I had it removed. Everything I read said that as long as the implant wasn't too large or in for a long period of time, everything should go back to normal. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and I have severe wrinkling when I pout my lips. If I get another implant, will it improve this? I don't want to have to do botox for the rest of my life.

Wrinkling of the chin area after removal of chin implant

What happened is there was some scar tissue created by the surgery which attached to the muscle of your chin call the mentalis muscle. The easiest correction to the wrinkling is Botox. This is temporary but will confirm the source for the issue. A permanent solution would be surgical removal of the scar tissue and, perhaps, placement of a larger implant at the same time.

Talmage Raine MD

Chin implant removal and fat grafting

If you did not like the feel of the implant, you may consider fat grafting to this area.   The fat can be used to correct the wrinkling and can be shaped as desired.  The results will be long lasting and BOTOX may not be needed. Collagen builders like Sculptra and Bellafill are alternative options.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                             Village Plastic Surgery 

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  The "cobblestone" look of the contracted Mentalis muscle will not be affected by placing a chin implant which goes directly on top of the bone and under this muscle.  Botox or another neurotoxin injected into the muscle will help smoothen this out.

Hope this helps.