Is bruising, swelling and excessive pain normal 72 hours post restylane injection? (photo)

I just had restylane injected around my lips. Immediately I began bruising (before i left the office), which was treated with a v-beam laser. I went back the next day to get another v-bean laser treatment to the bruised area on my mouth. Now I'm in pain and noticed blood and excoriated skin around the injection sites. I've had this treatment before, and I know some bruising is normal- but this seems excessive. And I'm wondering if I flared up some infection or something. Help! I'm hideous

Lip Swelling and Bruising After Injections -- Wait 2 Weeks; Reverse With Hyaluronidase; Vascular Occlusion?

A few things about this case.  Bruising that is immediate shouldn't be treated with Vbeam, you should wait 24-48 hours to treat it otherwise a "heat sink" can develop and cause these ulcerations you are seeing.  If you still have "pain" and swelling, you should reverse the filler and consider if a vascular occlusive event is occurring.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Herpetic outbreak?

You may have aggravated a dormant herpes virus. This can cause pain and excoriation. Best to see your injector/laser physician to be evaluated.

Pain and redness post procedure

Thanks for your question. Your symptons are not to be considered 'expected'. The breakdown of skin integrity in the photo you have posted could be the result of the laser treatments. It could also be a viral outbreak triggered by the procedures ( cold sore virus/oral herpes, or even varicella zoster virus/shingles. You should contact your provider, or another physician, immediately for evaluation and further treatment.Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician